Homemade dog food recipes vet approved as the fuel all our pets need in their daily lives. We also love to eat homemade food as that gives us so many health benefits. Most people strive towards well-being and comfortable lifestyle.
These days the market offers pet lovers a variety of freshly made and pre-portioned food for their pets. As they all want to feed their dogs and cats healthy and happy. We occasionally would like to make our furry friends happy as they produce so many positive emotional changes in our life. And here comes the question, can you cook yummy and healthy pet food at home?
Well, this review will give you some tips for preparing homemade meals for dogs. Besides that, we include the components for a balanced diet and the most favorite recipes for all kinds of dog breeds.
Homemade dog food recipes vet approved ✅
- Brown rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Chicken broth for some flavor
- Carrots – 2
- Sweet potato – 1
- Saute ground turkey (or chicken) – half a pack (about 220 grams)
- Frozen peas (not from the can) – 1 cup or a little less
- I start with making 1 cup of brown rice. I use the very handy Salton Automatic, 6 Cup Rice Cooker that you see in my video recipe. Brown rice helps to support and maintain blood sugar, as well as energy levels. Before cooking rice, be sure to rinse it well. Boil cereals about 30 minutes, but not more than 35 minutes, you should not boil the porridge too much, as this can lead to digestive problems. You should not add any spices and salt when cooking rice, since dogs do not eat salty food, moreover, it is harmful to them. When the rice is cooked, you can make your meal even healthier by adding a spoonful of vegetable oil, flax seeds, bran, and other healthy food additives.
- Add 2 cups of water to 1 cup of brown rice. I add chicken broth for some flavor.
No other seasonings are added.
Stir brown rice and chicken broth with water and let it cook 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, I wash, peel and cut two carrots and one sweet potato. Cut into small chunks.
– Carrots are a great source of fiber, antioxidants and vitamin A.
Sweet potatoes are low in fat contain essential vitamins like B6, C & A. They also support a healthy digestive system. Cut into chunks. Any leftover potatoes or carrots can be frozen until next time.
Put water to boil and cook chunks of carrots and sweet potatoes 8-10 minutes.
- I take minced turkey ground turkey (or chicken). I used half a pack (about 220 grams). Break into small pieces. It is a lean protein that is easily digestible and helps build muscle. Fry minced meat in a pan. Turn the heat down and let the minced meat simmer until soft. Cook on low heat to keep the juice.
- Add frozen peas (not from a can) to cooked minced meat in a skillet. Cover and turn off the heat. Peas are a great source of fiber, zinc, magnesium and potassium.
After boiling the carrots and potatoes for 8-10 minutes, check if the potatoes are soft. Drain water and cover the saucepan.
When rice is cooked place it in a container. Add all the veggies and meat. Mix everything up and let it cool down. This is enough for about three days. I mix my dog’s favorite dry food in a cup.
– Home cooked meals cannot provide all the vitamins and nutrients that commercial kibble will have. That’s why I mix it. Also, because my dogs don’t eat plain kibble.
– Wolf & Chai
The best premium dog foods contain at least 40 balanced ingredients, so I supplement my homemade recipes with these multivitamins:
- Dog Multivitamin with Glucosamine a well-rounded blend of the most essential vitamins and supplements for dogs’ overall daily health.
- Multifunctional Supplements for Dogs are functional supplement chews with premium ingredients and multivitamins.
- Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs is a natural fish oil additive supplement.
- Probiotics for Dogs contains a probiotic that contributes to normal gut flora.
Keywords: homemade dog food, homemade dog food recipes vet approved
Discover excellent Homemade Dog Food mixes
Discover excellent balanced mixes which gives you all the benefits of a homemade meal for your dog, without any of the prep work or hassle. Every bite is loaded with all the nutrients. All you have to do is add water and your pet’s favorite meat or fish and you’ve got yourself a homemade meal that your furry friend will love.
100% human-grade recipe is made with human-grade ingredients. That means higher quality ingredients and more safety standards, just like you would expect from your own food!
The Honest Kitchen Fruit & Veggie
This recipe contains a wag-worthy mix of antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies.
Dehydrated Dog Base Mix
3,700 kcal/kg, 337 kcal/cup
Human-Grade Beef Recipe
Tylee’s is made with human-grade ingredients - real, whole foods you can see and recognize.
Frozen Dog Food
1,477 kcal/kg, 171 kcal/cup
Sojos Mix-A-Meal Fruit & Veggie Pre-Mix
Shelf stable formula is freeze-dried and comes to life when mixed with water.
2,876 kcal/kg, 337 kcal/cup
Balanced Homemade Dog Food
Making a healthy homemade dog food-diet for your pet-friend can be tough, but it’s important. It isn’t something you should take lightly. At all times you do not offer the pet the same food you use, because the meals you enjoy having might not be so healthy for your pet-companion. So, when preparing the meals for the furry friend never forget to include the following ingredients:
- High quality proteins such as beef, poultry and fish
- Fats use in small amounts
- Veggies and additions like iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium, and folic acid
Furthermore, when including these elements into the animal diet it is important to have in mind following aspects such as dog’s age, breed, weight, and genetics. Additionally, puppies and adult dogs get various nutritional needs, so the balanced food should be formulated for their life stage. For example, milk is good for puppies up to 4 months of age, but it is not good for adult dogs as milk affects their digestive system. But, in any case the vets would always help to make the perfect and healthy diet for your dog.
Vet Approved Homemade Recipes For Pets ✅
So, keeping the food requirements of pets in mind we give you a formula that is the vet approved.
Use the basic ingredients:
- Real beef, chicken, turkey, and veal) – 450g
- Potatoes (medium) – 1 pc
- Oatmeal – ½ cup
- Fine-ground barley – ½ cup
- Carrots 🥕 (medium) – 1 pc
- Chopped green vegetables (broccoli, spinach and green beans) – ½ cup
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Make the meat cuts and fry them melting down the fat
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces and shred the carrots using a grater
- Cut the green veggies into small pieces
- Cook the barley and the oatmeal
- Mix together all the components
The dog food can be stored in the fridge in portions and thaw out as needed.
Homemade Grain Free Pet Nutrition Recipes
If you think your dog may be overweight or a vet recommended a grain free diet for your pet companion, you can use this recipe.
Take the following components to cook the homemade meals for a medium size dog up to 6kg:
- Beef 🍖 (or poultry) – 400g
- Potatoes 🥔 (big) – 1 pc
- Carrots 🥕 (medium) – 1 pc
- Green peas (frozen, fresh or canned) – 80g
- Make the meat cuts or grind that
- Chop the carrots and the potatoes into small cubes
- Cook over the meat in a pan adding the water until that changes the color
- Place the potatoes, the carrots and pour water if the pan dries out, so that covers all the components
- Cook over low heat about 25 min
- Place green peas
- Cook over for a couple of minutes
- Let sit until the meal reaches room temperature and give that to your pet