The first year of life is the most important for puppies. During this period, the foundation of good health and longevity is laid. Food for dogs up to 1 year old should consist of high-quality ingredients and contain all the useful substances necessary for a growing organism.
And how to choose such a diet – look for answers in our article.
General features of the diet for puppies
Puppies up to 1 year of age eat exclusively specialized feeds.
Features of such diets:
- High calorie content – growing four-legged ones spend several times more energy than adult or elderly dogs.
- They contain a set of essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements adapted for puppies.
- It is important not to forget about the quality of food consumed. The basis of the composition of the finished feed should be meat. Cereals may also be present, but in small quantities, because they often provoke the appearance of food allergies.
- Together with meat, the composition should contain fiber in the form of vegetables, fruits, herbs.
Rules for feeding puppies at different ages
Newborn – 1 month
In the first month of life, the baby feeds on mother's milk. Its use is extremely important for the formation of immunity. However, situations are different. If breastfeeding is not possible, you will have to feed your pets on their ownitable for this milk replacers adapted to the body of dogs. Cow's or goat's milk is not suitable for newborns and can cause serious digestive problems.
At 2 months, grown-up babies begin to show interest in their mother's food. Gradually, complementary foods can be introduced. It is better to start with wet diets – mousses and pastes. However, their main diet should remain breast milk.
3 months – six months
At this age, puppies are completely transferred to ready-made feed. If your baby is still having difficulty eating dry dog food pellets, try giving him wet dog food. Food in spiders or canned food is in no way inferior in nutritional value. Alternatively, soak dry granules in water or low-fat broth.
6 months to 1 year
Granules of dry dog food can not be softened after 6 months – it is at this time that the complete replacement of milk teeth with permanent ones takes place. A combination of a dry diet with a wet one is allowed. Now the pet can eat like an adult dog, except that the food must be formulated specifically for puppies.
How many times a day to feed a puppy
The number of meals and serving size depends on the age of the dog. Also, the volume of the daily norm is selected taking into account the breed, daily activity, and health characteristics of the animal.
A few recommendations:
- The amount of feeding per day should be strictly controlled. If the dog has not finished eating, you do not need to add the supplement to it and leave it in the public domain. After eating, the food bowl is removed, leaving only the drinker.
- After eating, you can not give the puppy additional treats. Treats are used during training as a reward, but not with the main meal.
- If a four-legged friend skips feeding, it is not recommended to give him a double portion at the next meal. As a result, the dog begins to overeat and get used to such a large amount of food.
- After eating, you do not need to immediately start training. Moreover, some breeds of dogs should refrain from active play for several hours, so as not to provoke gastric volvulus.
- The animal must receive food at the same time. You can adjust feedings to your schedule and not worry that your pet is starving while you are not at home.
Universal recommendations for the number of feedings per day depending on age:
- Up to 2 months – 5-6 times;
- 2-4 months – 4-5 times;
- 5-6 months – 3-4 times;
- 6-10 months – 3 times;
- Older than 11 months – 2 times.
Rules for feeding puppies by breed
Of course, you can not feed puppies of all breeds the same way – there are some nuances. For example, the calorie content and volume of diets for small and large dogs should be different. Also of particular importance is the vitamin and mineral supplement: it is different and depends on the size of the animal.
Ready-made high-class feeds take into account all these features. The main condition is to choose the right diet for the baby. Its basis should be meat and meat ingredients – the most important component of the nutrition of a small predator.
Puppies of large breeds from the second month of life eat 4 times a day. Gradually, the number of feedings is reduced. Diets for such four-legged animals are enriched with calcium and protein. The trace elements necessary for them are phytin, calcium gluconate and others.
Puppies of small and medium breeds at first eat more often than large brothers – 5 times a day in small portions. However, by 12 months they eat only in the morning and in the evening. At the same time, food for them should be more high-calorie, because they consume energy faster. It is also important that babies of small and medium breeds are prone to cardiovascular diseases, so there should not be an excess of sodium in the daily diet.
Nutritional supplements and vitamins
If the puppy eats high-class feed, there should not be a deficiency of nutrients in the body. However, during a routine checkup, your veterinarian may recommend supplements or vitamin and mineral complexes.
For example, large puppies are often advised to add calcium and phosphorus to their diet. And all babies for the prevention of rickets, as a rule, are prescribed vitamin D3.
In no case should you choose such drugs yourself! The decision on the appointment is made by the veterinarian, based on a visual examination, laboratory tests.
Water consumption rate
Water is an essential element for the body. Therefore, any pet should always have access to clean drinking water. The bowl must be washed regularly, and the water must be changed several times a day, because often there are food residues, wool, etc. In it.
Important! If you notice that your pet drinks too much or, conversely, too little water, contact your veterinarian – this may indicate endocrine disorders in the body.
How to choose puppy food
A balanced diet is what a puppy needs for proper growth and harmonious development. Their compositions are adapted to the needs of a growing organism in terms of the content of meat ingredients and nutrients.
Choose high-end diets – holistic, super-premium or premium.
Recommended puppy food
The diet of a puppy of small and large breeds is different. The thing is that miniature kids eat up in smaller portions, but are actively growing. They are more selective in food, and their delicate digestive system is sensitive to any aggressive foods. Do not forget that the jaw of a puppy of a small breed is smaller, so the baby needs a diet with small granules.
Premium Puppy Small caters to all the needs of small breed dogs. The high protein content (32%) ensures the growth of strong muscles and a healthy weight. Healthy fats (18%) have a positive effect on coat and skin. Grains are a source of energy.
Ownat's diets are based on natural ingredients to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle of a dog. In the production of feed, Slow-Cooking technology (slow languor) is used: long-term preparation at low temperatures. This allows you to preserve all the beneficial substances in granules.
Royal Canin knows how important proper nutrition in the first months of the life of puppies. After all, it lays the basis of the health and longevity of the pet. Therefore, brand feed takes into account the needs of babies up to 1 feed.
The food contains meat and meat offal. The source of carbohydrates is cereals. There is also vitamin D3 for the prevention of rickets, iodine, copper, manganese, zinc.
Super-premium diet for puppies and their mothers. It contains high-quality protein for strong muscle corset, minerals for durable teeth and bones, fish oil for healthy brain development.
The series of “meat delicacies” is distinguished in that it does not contain artificial additives: dyes, flavors and preservatives. The taste attractiveness of the food is provided using natural meat. The composition of the minimum of ingredients, the basis – beef. Additionally, phosphorus and calcium necessary for the child's body are contained.
It is convenient to take canned food on the road. The bank has a “loop” for which it can be opened.
The diet of super-premium class 49% consists of chicken fillet. The manufacturer added rice (2%) and aloe (5%) as carbohydrates. The chicken fillet is steamed, so the baby will definitely like the delicate taste of canned food. And due to the high humidity (85%), the pet receives additional fluid.
Answers to frequently asked questions
What should you pay attention to when choosing food?
Composition. In the first year of life, the baby needs high-quality protein for the growth of muscle tissue, phosphorus and calcium, vitamins D, E and C. If cereals are present in the stern, they should be easily digestible.
What age do you need to give food for puppies?
On best dog food storage containers of all diets, the recommended portion and age is indicated. More often – up to 12 months.
Why can't you give puppies to adult dog food?
A few reasons why you should not do this:
- Granules of dry dog food for adult dogs are larger in size and firm. They are not suitable for children's teeth.
- The calorie content of such feed is selected specifically to supply the body with an adult by the necessary energy.
- The ratio of proteins, fats, carbohydrates and nutrients also differs.
Why shouldn't you feed the puppy with natural food?
Often in pursuit of benefit, dog owners choose ordinary foods or feed the puppy by eating themselves.
Do not forget that human “dishes” are categorically not suitable for dogs. Therefore, “food from the table” is banned. In addition, it is quite difficult to prepare a diet for a pet and take into account the daily dose of vitamins and minerals in one portion. And if you calculate the cost of fresh meat, vegetables and other products that are bought specifically for the pet, as well as cooking time, then there will be no benefit here.
- Up to 2-3 months, the puppy feeds on the mother’s milk. With him, he receives all the necessary substances. Next, the baby is transferred to dog feed.
- In the first year of life, puppies are fed with special diets. The food of adult relatives is not suitable for them.
- Choose feed with a high protein content, proper fat, fiber.
- Do not forget about water. The baby should have a separate bowl for liquid. Rinse it daily and pour fresh water.
- Regularly visit a veterinarian, go through the check-ups. Then your four-legged friend will delight with activity, good health and good appetite.
- General features of the diet for puppies
- Rules for feeding puppies at different ages
- How many times a day to feed a puppy
- Rules for feeding puppies by breed
- Nutritional supplements and vitamins
- Water consumption rate
- How to choose puppy food
- Recommended puppy food
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Brief conclusions