Tip: If you don't want to train your dog to a therapeutic dry food, you can temporarily switch him exclusively to canned food.
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal for dogs with GI tract abnormalities and digestive disorders
The causes of nutritional disorders in dogs are manifold. Regardless of the etiology, the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal is the drug of first choice in disorders of digestion in mature dogs.
Form of release and characteristics of the food
Available in granules and canned food in 200g and 400g cans. Nutrients and energy content are given in the table below:
|Indicators||Dry matter content, %|
|Exchangeable energy, Kcal/kg||4428||4360|
|Omega 3+omega 6||4,6||5,32|
The fat concentration in dry pellets is lower than in canned foods, but the energy content of the feeds is the same due to the fact that carnivores extract fewer calories from carbohydrates than from protein. Digestive safety is ensured by a combination of easily digestible proteins and the prebiotics MOS and FOS.
The high caloric content stimulates the appetite. Unsaturated acids EPA and DHA have a beneficial effect on the smooth muscle of blood vessels and intestinal walls. Antioxidant complex inactivates toxic metabolites.
Indications and restrictions
Veterinary food is prescribed in the following cases:
- impaired digestibility and absorption of nutrients;
- Rehabilitation after illness or surgery;
- Chronic inflammatory processes.
Dietary supplements are contraindicated in the following pathological conditions:
- Hepatic encephalopathy;
- Illnesses that require low-calorie diet.
The veterinary food is transferred gradually, according to the scheme:
|Days||Same old food, %||Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal, %|
The minimum duration of treatment – 3 weeks. Pets are deprived of treats and food. The only food in the diet is dietary food. If the dog is diagnosed with a chronic inflammatory disease, the duration of treatment is set by the veterinarian.
Composition of feed mixes and diet
The following products were used to make dehydrated pellets:
- Animal feeds: poultry meat, protein hydrolysates, egg powder, fats.
- Plant components – rice, corn, soybean oil.
- Ingredients that normalize digestion: yeast hydrolyzate (prebiotics MOS) beet pulp, plantain seeds with shells, prebiotics FOS.
- Biologically active additives: extract of marigold, vitamins, trace royal canin gastrointestinal canned dog food elements, antioxidants, minerals.
Canned foods are made from the above components:
- Animal origin feeds: poultry meat, pork, salmon, fats.
- Vegetable components – rice, sunflower oil.
- Biologically active and technological additives: yeast, prebiotics MOS, marguerite extract, taurine, thickener, vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, trace elements in organometallic (chelate) form.
A veterinarian should be consulted when choosing dry or wet feeding. In most cases combined feeding is used, when one can of canned food or part of it is added to the dry pellets. Small dogs are more convenient to use cans of 200 g. Dogs heavier than 10 kg are fed 400 g. Approximate daily portion size is shown in the table below:
|Live weight, kg||Number of cans, pcs.||Amount of pellets, grams|
|200 g||400 g||lower average||normal||surplus|
|>50||1||470+9 g/kg||400+8 g/kg||330+7 g/kg|
Pellets can be replaced with canned food or vice versa. The nutritional value of 200 g, 400 g cans corresponds to 55 g, 110 g of dry food. Opened canned food stored in the refrigerator no more than 36 hours.
The editorial board strongly advises against self-treatment of animals! Information about veterinary medicines published on this site is intended for professionals. Self-treatment of animals with the drugs described may cause harm. Be sure to consult an in-person veterinarian before using medications.
Top 9 Popular Therapy Dog Foods
Therapeutic dog foods should not be used without a veterinarian's prescription. The differences in the composition of therapeutic (veterinary) dog food from regular dog food are so significant that they have contraindications. Diseases for which therapeutic foods are prescribed may be acute or chronic, and the duration of the diet depends on this. Let's find out if you can do without therapeutic foods and what to replace them with, consider the ranges of popular therapeutic foods and their differences.
Differences in Composition of therapeutic (veterinary) dog foods versus therapeutic foods
There are so many differences in the therapeutic (veterinary) dog foods compared to the standard dog food that you'll need a doctor's prescription before using the latter. All therapeutic foods have contraindications and should not be used to feed healthy animals.
Therapeutic foods affect the metabolism, so they are used temporarily in conjunction with therapy. Lifelong feeding of therapeutic feeds is acceptable for incurable, chronic diseases, such as diabetes.
Diseases for which therapeutic feeds are prescribed
The assortment of veterinary feeds varies among manufacturers. Of course, not all manufacturers, produce a full range of therapeutic products.
Diseases for which therapeutic foods are prescribed:
- Overweight tendency, obesity.
- Chronic or acute disorders of the heart, liver, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and urogenital system.. various etiologies, loss of hair.
- Natural degenerative processes associated with return.
- Recovery period after injuries, operations, diseases.
- Diseases of the oral cavity.
The most common preventive foods are available for dogs with problematic skin, with a tendency to urolithiasis and overweight. For animals with specific health problems, the food choices are not very wide.
Is it possible to do without therapeutic foods and what to replace them with
Many owners don't want to put their pets on industrial food. The question of whether they can do without therapeutic foods and what to replace them with arises frequently. Hypothetically, it is possible – a properly selected natural diet is no worse. But if you are inexperienced and do not have the opportunity to see a vet all the time, it is better to put him on a health food.
Tip: If you don't want to train your dog to a therapeutic dry food, you can temporarily switch him exclusively to canned food.
The popular treatment food lines
A line of popular therapeutic foods gives owners more than enough choice. Of course, like all foods, veterinary formulas vary in quality and may not be suitable for your pet.
Eukanuba is a series of premium foods that are made in USA under certification from Mars. Eukanuba's therapeutic line of foods consists of two products:
- Eukanuba Dermatosis (Dermatosis) – for dogs with problematic skin based on fish. It's wise to put a dog on a therapeutic diet for flea and atopic dermatitis, paraanaal gland inflammation, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Eukanuba Intestinal is for dogs with gastrointestinal issues and chronic indigestion. The diet is prescribed for gastroenteritis, hypertrophy of the small intestine, diarrhea, constipation, colitis, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel processes, hyperlipidemia, lymphohistasia.
Please note: Eukanuba Intestinal is contraindicated in puppies and teens, pregnant and lactating dogs.
Farmina is a manufacturer (Farmina Pet Foods) that produces a separate, therapeutic line of food for pets – Farmina Vet Life Natural Diet. The basis of the manufacturer's philosophy is naturalness. Farmina refers to holistic foods and has the following benefits:
- Natural composition.
- Grains with a low glycemic index.
- Extensive veterinary research and years of diet development.
Farmina Vet Life Natural Diet range:
- Convalescence – for emaciated and recovering, after illness animals.
- Gastrointestinal – gastrointestinal ailments, indigestion, poor digestion.
- Struvite – for urinary stone disease of struvite-urolytic type.
- Struvite Management – for relapses of struvite-urolytic urolithiasis.
- Oxalate- with urate, oxalate and cystine kidney stones.
- Renal- in kidney disease and chronic heart or kidney failure.
- Hypoallergenic Fish & Potato, Duck & Potato and Egg & Rice – for food allergies or intolerances.
- Growth – for puppies with growth and development disorders; with avitaminosis, untimely bone formation, reduced immunity.
- Joint – is a supplementary food for treatment of musculoskeletal system and joint inflammations.
- Convalescence – for recovery in the post-operative period.
- Hepatic – with liver failure.
- Cardiac – for chronic heart failure.
- Obesity – a diet for dogs who are overweight and prone to diabetes.
- Diabetic – for diabetes, to maintain blood sugar levels and control weight.
- UltraHypo – for people suffering from food allergies, atopy, and to reduce intolerance to nutrients.
- Neutered 1-10 kg – preventive food for small, neutered dogs.
- Neutered +10kg is a preventive food for medium- and large-sized, neutered dogs.
Almost all Farmina Vet Life Natural Diet foods are available as dry or canned food, which means both temporary and lifelong feeding.
Happy Dog is a German feed from Interquell GmbH. According to the manufacturer, the food belongs to the premium class.
The range of VET Diet Happy Dog:
- Skin – gluten-free food for dogs with problem skin, to accelerate skin regeneration.
- Struvit (2 types) – for struvite type urolithiasis.
- Adipositas – food for weight loss and control in dogs.
- Intestinal – for dogs with acute and chronic gastrointestinal deficiencies.
- Renal – for chronic kidney failure, problems in the genitourinary system.
Happy Dog is quite a quality food, but it is inferior to many competitors in price and quality. If this is the food your pet was prescribed, it's worth considering alternatives.
Hill's is one of the best-known premium foods. The popularity of the food is due to its wide range and relatively low price.
The range of Hill's Prescription Diet foods:
- Derm Defens – for allergic dogs.
- Low Fat Original – A low-fat diet for maintaining normal weight after weight loss.
- Metabolic Original, Mini – for reducing and maintaining normal weight in medium and small dogs.
- Canine c/d Multicare – for prevention of struvite formation.
- Canine d/d – for dogs suffering from skin disorders, vomiting, diarrhea, which are symptoms of allergies.
- Canine z/d – for dogs suffering from acute food allergies.
- Canine i/d – for correction of digestive function, maintenance of healthy weight, treatment of chronic gastrointestinal disorders.
- Canine k/d – to improve quality of life, support heart and kidney function.
- Canine w/d – to maintain optimum physical fitness.
- Canine s/d – to supplement therapy in the treatment of the urogenital tract.
- Canine a/d – regenerating food, to support the body after illness, injury, surgery.
- Canine Original k/d + Mobility – to maintain the health of the musculoskeletal system and increase mobility.
- Canine l/d – for chronic liver disease.
- Canine u/d – for urolithiasis.
- Canine h/d – for chronic heart disease.
- Canine j/d – for chronic joint problems.
Against the backdrop of a wide veterinary lineup, there are a number of doubts about the quality of food. Even veterinary diets contain corn, which makes the food much cheaper, but has a bad effect on its quality.
Monge VetSolution is a series of complete therapeutic and veterinary foods for pets. The foods are premium, although in terms of quality, some foods barely reach this level.
The main advantages of the Monge VetSolution line, which the manufacturer emphasizes:
- Grain Free.
- Contains prebiotics (X.O.S. Prebiotics).
- Functional Fit-aroma phyto-ingredient for essential and rare amino acids.
The Monge VetSolution range:
- Diabetic – for diabetes.
- Gastrointestinal – for acute and chronic gastrointestinal diseases.
- Gastrointestinal Puppy – similar food for puppies.
- Hepatic – with acute and chronic liver diseases, liver failure.
- Obesity – for obesity, for a smooth reduction and maintenance of normal weight.
- Renal – for acute and chronic kidney disease and kidney failure.
There are some significant inaccuracies in the composition of Monge food, but the product is based on meat and its guaranteed performance is quite acceptable.
Orijen is a series of holistic foods for dogs. Unfortunately, the range is not very wide and the price is "biting", but the products are of high quality and have a good reputation. The main advantages of Orijen food, which the manufacturer claims:
- 42% protein, 17% carbohydrates.
- 2/3 of the product – fresh meat.
- 1/3 of the food composition is fresh chicken or fish.
- The food contains whole eggs, cartilage and freeze-dried liver.
The manufacturer does not have a separate, veterinary line, but there are preventive foods:
- SENIOR – food for older dogs.
- FIT & TRIM – food for dogs with high energy requirements.
The philosophy of the brand is naturalness, and Orijen's food is created with consideration of natural, "wolf" needs of dogs.
Pro Plan is one of the broadest and most popular lines of food for pets with different needs. Pro Plan belongs to the premium segment. Manufacturers produce food for dogs of all returns and sizes, including therapeutic and preventive foods.
The Pro Plan range of foods:
- NC Neurocare – for the treatment and prevention of cognitive dysfunction, contains a combination of neuroprotective ingredients that improve brain activity in dogs.
- HA Hypoallergenic – for the treatment and prevention of allergic reactions, contains low molecular weight proteins and purified carbohydrates.
- CN Convalescence – to support the body during rehabilitation.
- EN Gastrointestinal – for the treatment and prevention of digestive disorders and pancreatic enocrine disorders.
- HP Hepatic – for the treatment and prevention of liver disorders.
- FortiFlora – for the treatment and prevention of dysbacteriosis, contains probiotics.
- OM Obesity Management – for treating obesity and maintaining a healthy weight.
- NF Renal Function – for the treatment and prevention of kidney function disorders.
- UR Urinary – to supplement therapy for the treatment of struvite stones and to maintain optimal urinary acidity levels.
- JM Joint Mobility – for the treatment and prevention of joint inflammation and musculoskeletal system function.
- DRM Dermatosis – a food for common skin problems.
Pro Plan is a very popular therapeutic food because it is reasonably priced, against a backdrop of adequate quality. However, Pro Plan has some worthy competitors.
Purina DOG CHOW is a line of economy foods. The DOG CHOW range includes a line for animals with special needs:
- Adult with chicken – a diet for dogs with high energy requirements.
- Adult with salmon is a diet for dogs with sensitive digestion.
Despite the attractive price, do not consider Purina DOG CHOW as a therapeutic diet for your pet. This food belongs to the economy series for a reason, it is based on vegetable proteins, and this is not very good for the health of the dog.
Royal Canin is the undisputed leader among food manufacturers on the market. The range of the brand is very wide, meeting the requirements of dogs of different sizes, breeds, ages.
The range of food Royal Canin therapeutic and preventive food:
- RENAL, RENAL SPECIAL and RENAL RF14 – for chronic renal failure.
- SATIETY WEIGHT MANAGEMENT WET, SAT30, SMALL DOG SSD30 – for adult dogs suffering from obesity, including small breeds.
- HYPOALLERGENIC, HYPOALLERGENIC HME 23 MODERATE CALORIE, HSD 24 SMALL – dietary, hypoallergenic food.
- ANALLERGENIC AN18 – for severe food intolerances and allergies.
- URINARY S/O, LP18, SMALL DOG USD 20 – for diseases of the urogenital system for medium-sized, small-sized, adult and young dogs.
- GASTRO INTESTINAL, GI25, JUNIOR GIJ29 – for chronic digestive disorders in dogs and puppies of all breeds.
- SENSITIVITY CONTROL – for food sensitivities and/or allergies.
- MOBILITY C2P+ MC25, MOBILITY MC25 C2P+ – for musculoskeletal disorders.
- HEPATIC and HEPATIC HF16 – for acute and chronic liver failure.
- SKIN CARE SK 23 – for chronic and acute skin problems, hair loss.
- DIABETIC SPECIAL LOW CARBOHYDRATE, DIABETIC DS37 – for diabetes.
- FIBRE RESPONSE FR23 – for chronic digestive problems, with high fiber content.
- RECOVERY – for animals suffering from anorexia.
- GASTRO INTESTINAL LOW FAT, LOW FAT LF22 – a reduced fat diet for the prevention of digestive problems.
- CARDIAC, EC26 – for chronic heart failure.
- NEUTERED ADULT SMALL DOG and ADULT are preventive foods for neutered dogs.
Royal Canin foods are in the premium class, but most lines for treatment and prevention are of higher quality.
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal for dogs: canned and dry food
If any of the following symptoms occur, your dog should be seen by your veterinarian:
- Severe loss of appetite, up to and including refusal to eat for 24 hours;
- Constipation and difficulty emptying the bowels;
- presence of traces of blood in the stool;
- bloating of the abdomen;
- Increased body temperature.
With inflammation of the digestive system, dogs become passive
Important! In the absence of timely treatment, pathological abnormalities in the gastrointestinal tract may occur. The severe condition may be caused by a dangerous infection, which can only be diagnosed by an experienced specialist
Do not delay in going to the veterinary clinic
A severe condition could be caused by a dangerous infection that only an experienced veterinarian should diagnose. You should not hesitate to go to the veterinarian.
The facility will examine the dog, take tests, make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Sometimes it is enough to change the diet, and in some cases, serious therapy or surgery will be required.
The basic steps in treating digestive problems with a diet are:
- Abstaining from food for a day with increased consumption of drinking water. Starvation relieves and improves gastrointestinal function;
- Eliminating difficult-to-digest, unhealthy foods from your diet. This category includes: fatty meat, cartilage, tendons, bones, grains, fish, eggs;
- Reducing portions, dividing the daily volume into several meals. Fractional meals reduce the load on the digestive system and helps to restore its proper work;
- Selection of a special dietary food.
A veterinarian will choose a type of food that's easily digested by a weakened body, its dosage based on the breed, age and weight of the dog. Your veterinarian will recommend a gradual transition to this type of food, which should be maintained for 2-3 months. Dietary super-premium foods are produced by manufacturers: Royal Kanin, Proplan and Farmina.
Indications for the use of therapeutic food are:
- acute and chronic diarrhea;
- inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract;
- poor food digestion;
- recovery from illnesses or operations;
- Exocrine insufficiency in the pancreas;
- abnormal weight loss.
Once you are feeling better, your veterinarian will make recommendations for further action and select a suitable diet.
Royal Canin dog food review
In addition to dog food storage container, Royal Canin for cats is also produced. Mars also produces pet food under the brands Whiskas, Perfect Fit, KiteKat, Chappi, Pedigree, Sheba, Cesar.
Composition of Royal Canin food
Since not only dry food is popular, but also wet food, in this review we will get acquainted with the composition of both.
Composition of dry food
Let's look at the composition of Royal Canin's dry food, for example the X-Small Junior (food for very small puppies):
Photo of the composition shown on the package.
Plant proteins isolate takes first place, and dehydrated animal proteins (poultry) are in third place. So most of the protein in the feed is of plant origin, and it is less digestible than animal protein. It is also not clear which plants this protein comes from. Neither is its percentage indicated.
Second place is occupied by rice, which, together with wheat and cereal flour, are sources of carbohydrates. Sources of fats and fatty acids are "animal fats" (no animal fat is specified), soybean oil and fish oil.
Animal protein hydrolysate is a natural flavor additive, also a source of protein. "Plant fiber" (not specified which plants), plantain shells and seeds are sources of fiber. The latter also contain the prebiotic inulin. Minerals are a dietary mineral supplement.
Fructooligosaccharides – prebiotic, useful for digestion. Yeast hydrolysate – a source of prebiotic mannanooligosaccharides, B-group vitamins. Velveteen extract – a source of lutein (useful for vision and not only).
The overall composition, to put it mildly, is not as good as many people think. But this is a food for a growing puppy, who needs the best possible nutrition. Here the main protein is vegetable, and many of the ingredients are written in generic terms.
Among the technological additives are listed: clinoptilolite sedimentary origin (completely safe, absorbs excess moisture and does not allow the product to flake), sodium tripolyphosphate – food additive E451, is a stabilizer, preservatives, antioxidants – is not specified what exactly.
Composition of wet food
Let's look at the composition of the wet food "Royal Kanin" by the example of pouches for Yorkshire terriers.
Photo of the composition shown on the bag.
The first ingredient is meat and meat by-products, the source of protein. The percentage is not specified as to what meat by-products include. Vegetable by-products – not clear what it is or how much of it, probably used as a source of fiber.
Cereals – source of carbohydrates. Doesn't specify which grains and how much of them. Minerals – mineral supplement. Oils and Fats – source of fats and fatty acids. "Carbohydrate sources" – what is behind this ingredient is not clear.
The list of supplements includes vitamins and minerals, but their amount is listed per 1 kg, and the package is 85 grams. So the figures on the package will be 12 times lower.
Nevertheless, it is not very important, because the wet food is only a supplement to the ration
Pros and cons
The pros of this food include:
- a very broad line, there is food for dogs of all sizes, ages and breeds;
- There is a veterinary line, including wet food;
- not a bad vitamin and mineral supplement;
- widespread, you can buy it in almost every pet store.
Disadvantages of the food "Royal Kanin":
- In many formulas, most of the protein is of plant origin (less digestible);
- Many formulas do not specify the cereals used, it just says "cereal";
- Antioxidants/conservatives used are not listed;
- Relatively high price (many super premium foods with a better formula cost almost as much).
Also a disadvantage can be considered the fact that the composition does not specify the percentage of the main ingredients.
ROYAL CANIN KITTEN 85 g jelly powder wet food for kittens up to 12 months of age
A complete food which cats instinctively prefer. Meets the optimal macronutrient profile that kittens instinctively prefer
It is very important to provide kittens with a product that meets both their body needs and their taste preferences. Only in this way can healthy eating habits be formed in a kitten and provide him with the necessary nutrients
That's why ROYAL CANIN Kitten Instinctive Jelly has the optimal nutrient profile that kittens instinctively prefer.
ROYAL CANIN Kitten Instinctive in jelly meets kittens' needs for vital nutrients, provides energy, promotes bone strength and maintains health. Even during the second growth phase, kitten's immune system is not yet fully formed.
ROYAL CANIN Kitten Instinctive helps to develop natural defense mechanisms, thanks to an antioxidant complex including vitamins E and C, lutein and taurine. ROYAL CANIN Kitten Instinctive in jelly is easy to chew and also suitable for mother cats. To meet the individual preference of every cat, ROYAL CANIN Kitten Instinctive is also available in pieces in sauce and as pâté.
Net weight: 85 g.
Complete canned food for cats – Specially for kittens in the second growth phase up to 12 months (fine jelly pieces)
INGREDIENTS: meat and meat by-products, vegetable protein extracts, vegetable by-products, minerals, oils and fats, yeast, carbohydrate sources.
ADDITIVES (in 1 kg): Nutritional supplements: Vitamin D3: 60 ME, Iron: 8 mg, Iodine: 0.3 mg, Copper: 1.4 mg, Manganese: 1.4 mg, Zinc: 23 mg, Selenium: 0.028 mg – Process supplements: Cassium gum: 2.42 g.
INGREDIENTS CONTENT: Protein: 12,0% – Fats: 4,0% – Minerals: 1,6% – Dietary fiber: 0,7% – Humidity: 80,0%.
Manufacturer: LLC "MARS", USA, 142800, Moscow region, Stupino, St. 12 Sitenka St., Stupino, 141870, USA, Moscow region, Dmitrovsky district, v. 70 Kuziaevo. Production address: USA, 346714, Rostov region, Aksai district, Grushevskaya village, 1 Marsovo Pole str.
The information on ingredients and nutrient composition on the site is for reference only. All information about the product is presented directly on the packaging. Information about the appearance of the product is for reference only and may differ from the presented.
|Age of kitten||1 spider + g dry food||Spider (g)|
|1.5 month old||1 + 1/2 – 2||15-25|
|2 months||2 – 2 +1/2||20-35|
|3 months||2 + 1/2 – 3 + 1/2||30-50|
|4 months||2 + 1/2 – 3 + 1/2||35-60|
|6 months||2 + 1/2 – 3 + 1/2||35-60|
|9-12 months||2 — 3||25-40|
|Also suitable for cats during pregnancy|
|Pregnant cat 3 kg||2 + 1/2 – 4||35-60|
|Pregnant cat 5 kg||4 + 1/2 – 6 + 1/2||70-115|
Canned Gastro Intestinal.
Not only the dry kind of this food is on the market. Canned food for dogs "Royal Kanin Gastrointestinal" is also presented. All components in the food are chosen so as to exclude any risks, to protect the digestive system of dogs from negative effects. The composition contains the same components as in the dry food.
The indications and contraindications do not change either. Note that the transition to therapeutic canned food is carried out within a few days, depending on the illness of the animal. The daily ration is indicated on the label on the can. The manufacturer advises dividing the daily ration into two or more times.
How to properly handle canned food "Royal Kanin Gastro Intestinal"? After opening the sealed package, the food itself should be moved to a glass jar, which should be sent to the refrigerator. This way it can be stored for up to three days. Please note that even though the canned food contains soft food, the animal still needs water.
The composition of this food is balanced so as to maintain your pet's energy at the maximum level, while not putting a heavy load on the gastrointestinal tract and not provoking fat deposits.
- Rice – This is a valuable cereal that is rich in lots of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Dehydrated meat is a dietary product that is easy to digest.
- Animal fats.
- Corn. It contains unsaturated fatty acids. They do not allow "harmful" cholesterol to be deposited on the walls of blood vessels.
- Egg powder. The component saturates the dog's body with valuable proteins, as well as vitamins A and E.
- Yeast. This is the main source of B vitamins.
- Beet pulp (source of fiber).
- Soybean oil (source of vitamin E).
- Fish oil.
- Fructooligosaccharides are sources of food for beneficial microorganisms in the stomach.
- Shell and plantain seeds.
- Velveteen extract.
Best premium foods
7th place Matisse
At number 7 in the ranking is the product Matisse. It does not contain dangerous chemicals or GMOs. It does not contain a lot of meat and healthy fats, but it has everything it needs. In addition, the composition – useful for a cat fiber, vitamins and taurine. The disadvantage of this food is a rather high percentage of vegetable components, the use of harmful corn, and the use of dehydrated rather than fresh meat. The average cost of a 10 kg bag of this food is 3506.
Matisse for cats Advantages:
- Different lines for cats of different ages and conditions (pregnant cats, neutered, etc.);
- yeast in the composition;
- low percentage of cereals in relation to meat.
in some foods a small meat process.
6th place Perfect Fit
In 6th place is the Perfect Fit food. The main disadvantage is the lack of natural meat. It contains harmful ingredients, corn, flavorings, meat meal and more. In addition, too much vegetable protein. But the low cost is a plus. In addition, the manufacturer focuses on food for animals with various health problems. So there is a line for those pets who have gastrointestinal problems, sterilized animals, as well as for "fluffy" of different ages. The cost of a 3 kg bag of this food is 698.
Perfect Fit for cats. Advantages:
- The widest line of products;
- rich vitamin composition.
Very "little meat composition".
5th place Royal Canin
Royal Canin cat food, which received the 5th place, can be a good substitute for natural food for your pet. It contains many natural ingredients, but at the same time it also contains flavor enhancers and preservatives. The therapeutic versions of this brand have a higher quality composition. It can be bought in a specialized store at an affordable price. The price of this food: 4201 for 15 kg.
Royal Canin for cats Advantages:
- you can pick up the food very individually, there are options for different breeds;
- many flavor variations and forms of food (dry, wet, pate);
- there is a wide therapeutic line.
The composition of the basic food is far from ideal, therapeutic lines are preferable.
4th place Hills
On the 4th line are products of brand Hills. These are specialized foods for sedentary animals suffering from obesity, allergies and heart and excretory system diseases. Also included in the line is a variant for cats who have undergone surgery. Food of this brand is sold only in veterinary pharmacies. A 12 kg bag costs 3,810.
Hills for cats Advantages:
- In the composition of micronutrients and vitamins;
- many highly specialized therapeutic products;
- there is food for adults, and for those who are not yet a year old.
to find natural meat in the composition is almost impossible.
3rd place Happy Cat
German-made Happy Cat food has a unique composition. The manufacturer includes only natural components of plant and meat origin in its composition. Also included for the health of cats are beneficial herbs, which are good for the stomach and circulatory system. For a 10kg bag of this food you will pay 3380.
Happy Cat for cats Advantages:
- The food does have a healthy composition;
- there are grain-free options;
- natural meat in the composition;
- there is a wide range depending on the age and health of the pet.
Some have noted an unpleasant odor.
2nd place Guabi.
Guabi Brazilian food contains natural meat ingredients, meat meal, rice and liver. It does not cause allergies in animals. In addition, vitamins, gluten and brewer's yeast are included. There are no harmful substances in them. But since the food is not always on sale, we put it on the 2nd line. The cost of a package of 1.5 kg of food 720.
Guabi for cats. Advantages:
- excellent composition with natural meat and vitamin and mineral complex;
- there is food for adult cats, as well as kittens.
Not a large selection of food for individuals with health problems.
1st place Flatazor
On the 1st line of the chart is a French manufactured cat food Flatazor. In addition to natural meat, they include healthy herbal ingredients. Food does not contain harmful chemical additives and GMOs. A big advantage over other brands is the presence of useful amino acids for the animal. They are necessary for the immune system, improve the coat of animals. An 8 kg pack costs 3220.
Flatazor for cats Advantages:
- useful vitamin and mineral composition;
- a wide range of choices for cats with special health conditions and of different ages.
There are certain foods that have a small percentage of meat and it is in a dehydrated form.
So how do you choose a diet cat food?
When choosing the right food for a cat, it is important to consider factors such as age, weight, the general state of the animal's body, the presence of special conditions, such as pregnancy, lactation period. Diet food for cats from the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal series is represented by such products:
Dietary food for cats from the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal series is represented by such products:
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal GI 32. Designed for the treatment of liver diseases, gastritis and stomach ulcers, bacterial intestinal infections. The combination of easily digestible animal and plant proteins increases the energy potential of the cat and activates the healing process of the entire digestive system. An animal with frequent diarrhea naturally loses its appetite and is prone to exhaustion, and the delicate taste of poultry meat instantly solves all the owners' feeding problems. Recommended daily doses are as follows:
- 31-98 g for cats of normal weight;
- 37-82 g for those underweight for their breed;
- 41-78 g for those overweight.
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Wet. A distinctive feature of this product is the presence of taurine, which is so necessary for cats, and which, based on the characteristics of the body, for the most part they can get only from the outside. The optimum balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates gives your cat the energy it needs to live its life to the fullest and make it heal quickly. Norms for the day:
- 125-385 g for the average breed;
- 150-325 g for underweight;
- 160-310 g for those who are overweight.
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Moderate Calorie. While the previous two products reviewed have a number of contraindications, the main one being pancreatitis, this food is recommended by veterinarians for the treatment of those diseases that the regular Gastro is not available.
The product is also quite suitable for domestic sterilized cats and cats that are more at risk of various diseases after such surgery, especially obesity and urolithiasis. For the most finicky animals, manufacturers have developed an ideal formulation that no cat can resist. It is available in dry and wet form. The normal daily ration of Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Moderate is 34-107 g. Pets with weight abnormalities of 41-129 g and 45-86 g of food per day should be prescribed respectively.
Only a novice owner should be unaware of how much to feed a cat. If a cat has a huge upset stomach and is chugging like a bucket of food, then you shouldn't give him too much. Especially dry food, or dehydration will occur.
The best recommendation for the dosage of Royal Kanin Gastro Intestinal is the frequency of pooping. You can look at all the tables you want, but if a cat starts pooping 2-3 times a day, he is overeating and will soon be fat.
If he doesn't poop at all, he hasn't eaten enough.
The ideal dosage of food is for a cat to go to the bathroom once a day. If she is sick, underweight, or a growing kitten, then you can give more. The exceptions, again, are emaciated animals who may have a gut twist after starvation, as well as those who are sick.
In general, the approximate dosage table of Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal looks like this: