Special features of PURINA ONE dog food
The PURINA brand has only been on the USA market for seven years, but has already won the favor of a fifth of pet food buyers. It owns famous brands under which varied ration lines are produced: PRO PLAN, DOG CHOW and others. Beneficial for pet owners features of PURINA ONE dog food are variety of types, focus on different weight and age categories, balanced composition and presence of all ingredients necessary for the full life activity of the animal.
Advantages and disadvantages
Developed by a French company, but manufactured in Italy, PURINA ONE dog food is a special line for small pets, which are categorized as ornamental breeds. Today, many owners prefer to get such pets, which do not create inconveniences for transporting and living in cramped conditions of city apartments.
PURINA ONE is considered an economy food storage container, and is criticised by anti-picky critics, who are big supporters of premium and holistic diets.
But PURINA ONE has a great variety of products, so it would be wrong to judge the list all at once. The foods from the well-known manufacturer with more than a century of reputation have their tangible prerogatives and bonuses:
- meat, fish, poultry, cereals, dry protein, vitamins and minerals, and vegetables, all of which the manufacturer adds to the feed;
- The division of products under this name into 4 basic lines: for adult pets, active and with excessive appetite, with sensitive stomachs and those prone to allergic reactions;
- More than 19 types of products, differentiated not only by taste, but also by capacity of packages and intended use (there is detailed information about all this on each package with a thoughtful design);
- There is a separate food for puppies with problems with digestion, healthy puppies or those with special needs, medium and small breeds;
- Multi-purpose food in various weight variations is available;
- Different types of food: dry or wet, in bags, in tins or patches, pelleted or specially made in small pieces
- optimal ratio of price and quality (there are more expensive food with a less useful and natural composition)
- Balanced content of all valuable components necessary for a dog to live a full life, healthy teeth and coat, activity and energy;
- recognized by veterinarians as the optimal development for the transition from elite food to economy food.
There are a few other bonuses that are not always mentioned in advertisements, such as faster digestion, easier digestion, maintaining health with the right diet and the undeniable superiority of PURINA ONE among all other economy class options offered to small ornamental breed dogs. Pet owners in this category are known to be particularly sensitive to the selection of nutrition for their pets. They can safely turn to the products of the well-known French manufacturer, because PURINA has only a few circumstances that can be attributed to the minuses: the use of by-products (some animals prefer them as an alternative to meat), a fairly high percentage of useful fillers and a slight addition of flavor enhancers (much less than in other well-known manufacturers).
Our dry food range
PURINA ONE range is positioned as intended exclusively for small breeds (sometimes the delicate word “mainly” is added), but there is food for large (by the standards of owners of decorative dogs – from 10 kg) and medium, but it is presented by a small range, as a rule, based on chicken and rice. For dogs from 7 kg you can find more offerings in other ranges from PURINA.
There are two main types of food in the mini line: pellets and croquettes. If the pellets have been stored open, they can harden, the croquettes are crunchy from the start and undergo almost no transformation. For dogs who have developed age-related dental problems, or puppies with unformed teeth, you can soak them in non-fat kefir or warm boiled water. Determining which dog food is best for a particular breed of dog (what’s best for a Yorkshire Terrier or a French Bulldog) is difficult. All five series are oriented to the individual characteristics of the animal, so before buying it is better to consult a veterinarian, who will determine the preferred category from the dry mini series:
- adult , which contains beef with rice – the food is designed for animals with a sedentary lifestyle and who are 1-6 years old;
- active – for pets who prefer high physical activity, are restless and accompany their owners everywhere not on hands but on a leash (chicken and rice);
- For those who are prone to overweight or even obesity – the manufacturer produces food for small dogs with turkey and rice under the label “Healthy weight”;
- salmon with rice – for weaker animals, such food is often purchased for therapeutic purposes, but it is a preventive food for animals with digestive problems or dogs with hypersensitivity to certain food components;
- toddlers can be given a special mini-food, called “for puppies”, without fear.
If we characterize the range of dry food in general, the ratio of FFA is optimal: proteins – more than a quarter, fats (in different forms) – from 10 to 18%, there are carbohydrates of natural origin, including corn and wheat, fish oil and animal fats, vegetable extracts.
Besides a small amount of flavor additives, the food does not contain any toxic compounds or chemicals, which is a definite plus for an economy class food.
The mini line has only one type of dog food for kids, Chicken and Rice. But some pellets can be used in soaked form. If there is a need to purchase PURINA ONE, you can turn to wet food, whose form is more suitable for babies.
For adult and senior dogs
A line called “My Dog” is designed for them. Convenient packaging – 0.6 kg and 1.5 kg – allows you to buy several kinds at once and alternate them in daily meals. There are different types of pets. There are those who love to eat and suffer from digestive disorders. For them, the “Adult” series of beef and rice and “Sensitive” with salmon will do, as well as for animals with a good appetite on the basis of turkey.
“Neposeda” will not suit animals who prefer to avoid physical activity, but will perfectly solve the problems of owners whose pet is hyperactive and eats with appetite everything poured into the bowl.
For those who have a small dog of advanced age, we can recommend “Adult” from the Mini line, which guarantees the proper condition of the coat, mouth and teeth.
Variety of wet food
This segment of products from a well-known manufacturer is represented by two main directions. Their names repeat the categories of dry food – here, too, there is a mini line, and the second is called “My dog”.
The varieties of food, although similar in name to the dry range, but have a richer taste and are close in composition to the natural. The quality of wet canned food is so high that some sources refer to it as a premium animal product. The manufacturer really works to provide a complete diet:
- “My Dog. For animals with sensitive digestion and tendency to allergies” – from salmon, carrots and rice;
- “My Dog. For the hyperactive (fidgety)” – with duck, pasta and green beans;
- “Mini” – includes turkey, peas and carrots, topped with a tasty gravy;
- “Mini. Healthy Weight” – made with chicken, brown rice, and tomatoes with gravy;
- “Mini. Healthy Weight” – also made of chicken, rice, tomatoes with gravy;
- “Mini. For Active Animals” – made with beef, carrots and potatoes;
- “Mini. For Active Animals” – with duck, pasta and green beans.
It is difficult for large dogs to provide premium food container because it is not affordable. Owners of smaller pets who eat less try to pamper them with expensive foods. However, price is not the only indicator by which to judge a food. PURINA ONE is the best option, designed specifically for small breed dogs, it has everything they need for a full life.
Review of reviews
Most buyers leave positive feedback on the quality of the food under consideration – they are satisfied with the packaging and diversity of the range, purposefully developed lines. Veterinarians note the correct ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, a large percentage of meat and fish in the contents of pellets, croquettes and spiders, the ability to recommend certain types to meet the individual needs of the pet, leveling its features, which can lead to a set of excess weight or satisfy the appetite of an energetic dog.
Balanced composition, expert recommendations and development for specific breeds of animals – all these are useful features of food from PURINA ONE.
purina one smartblend chicken and rice dog food reviews