Portuguese water dog
Portuguese Water Dog Puppies Nervously Take Their First Bath! | Too Cute!
The Portuguese water dog is a rare breed from a group of hunting, girlfriends. Today, almost disappeared by the 60s of the XX century, these amazing animals again attract the attention of dog breeders on all continents. Representatives of the breed are famous for a calm and balanced character. This is what makes the Portuguese water dog an ideal companion.
Characteristics of the breed
|Conditions of detention:||In the apartment/in the country house/in the aviary|
|Appointment:||Companion, working dog, hunting|
|Color:||Black, white, various shades of brown;Combinations of black or brown with white are allowed|
|Wool length:||Long, over 6 cm, undercoat is missing|
Type of wool: curly or wavy
Group 8 retrievers, spaniels and water dogs;Section 3 water dogs.
The history of the origin of the Portuguese water dog
As follows from the name of the breed, the main area of the species in antiquity was precisely the Portuguese coast. However, there is no reliable data on the appearance of the Portuguese water dog on the Pyrenee peninsula. There is an opinion that individual specimens were brought by the Persians in the 6th century BC. Whatever point of view of origin different researchers will adhere to, most converge in the fact that the main characteristics of the exterior were formed only in the Middle Ages.
Since that time, the Portuguese water dog is found in the coastal zone of the Portuguese Republic located in the southern part of the European continent with access to the Atlantic Ocean. The main source of income of the local population in this area of the country was always fishing, and the dogs were designed to help the Portuguese in this craft.
The fishermen trained animals with numerous skills, from best dog food storage container the fishing of the fish to the arranged networks to the transfer of various messages to the ships that anchored in the catch zone. Dogs were often kept on fishing trawls, which were engaged in fishing not only in the southern, but also in the northern part of the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Iceland.
Tempered by the harsh living conditions and duties assigned to them, Portuguese water dogs and are now distinguished by excellent work characteristics.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the country's economic accents have shifted towards the development of industry and agriculture. This made a negative effect on the breed, and the Portuguese water dog was on the verge of extinction. Fortunately, thanks to the efforts of the dog handler Vasco Bensuade, the breed was saved. In the 30s, the standard was approved on the basis of the data club of the Portuguese Water Dog and a “working” quality was approved. In 1954, several individuals were taken to the British islands, but breeding in this country was not successful.
The genuine revival occurred in the United States, where in 1983 the Portuguese water dog was included in the register of purebred breeds of the American dog breeding club (AKS). Since that time, the dog is exhibited in the class “Working Group”, and the puppies are in demand in many countries.
- The head is wide, proportional, rounded, the contours are not vague;The back of the head is clearly expressed.
- The eyes stand out, large, round.
- The eyelids are dry, compressed, strong.
- The ears are large, wide, the production is high.
- Stop is pronounced.
- The muzzle in the form of a wedge is narrowed to the nose.
- The nose is large;The lobe is black.
- The lips are tightly adjacent, hard.
- The teeth are strong, the bite is scissor.
- The jaws are powerful.
- The backbone is strong, the body is muscular, almost in the shape of a square.
- The neck is long, very muscular and clearly outlined.
- The chest is relatively narrow.
- The back is straight, the withers and lower back are not expressed.
- The limbs are straight, muscular, with a barely noticeable inclination.
- The paws are wide, large, have visible membranes.
- The coat is hard, thick, water-repellent, long;According to the standards of the ACC, the haircut is allowed two types: “Leo” and “Retriever”;Two options for wool are recognized: curly and wavy.
- The tail is short, the production is low, in an active state is twisted in a full circle.
Photo of an adult dog
Photo of puppies
Features of character and behavior
Portuguese water dog is an ideal companion. The history of the formation of the characteristics of the nature and temperament of these animals is closely related to the need to obey a person and clearly fulfill the tasks in difficult climatic conditions. Therefore, the psyche of representatives of the breed is stable, excessively emotional reactions are absent. The owners note the exceptional devotion of the pet and the willingness to quickly and accurately fulfill the commands and tasks of the owner.
The Portuguese water dog has good adaptive qualities, quickly adapts to the change of situation.
The intelligence of the pet is evaluated by specialists quite high and requires constant training. It is recommended to work out one of the search teams on each walk, stimulating mental activity.
The behavioral characteristics of the dog also have high marks. It is considered calm, calm and cold-blooded. The type of nervous activity is a strong balanced mobile, prevailing temperament – sanguine.
Portuguese water dog has the following advantages:
- Exceptional physical endurance, performance, hard work.
- Pronounced workers and official characteristics.
- Swims perfectly, loves water.
- Unpretentious, does not require special conditions of detention.
- They do not have a specific smell.
- High mental abilities.
- Owls, understood, is perfectly excellent training.
- Purked to the owner, “reads” the mood of the owner well.
- Soft, suppressive.
- Disgusted, unflappable disposition.
- Conflict temperament, great for families with young children.
- Friendly to people, including outsiders.
- Suitable for inexperienced owners, as well as for the elderly.
- It gets along well with other pets.
The disadvantages of the Portuguese water dog are few and come down to the following:
- They may not obey other family members. With this characteristic of the dog, it is necessary to reckon and from birth to teach the puppy to implicit obedience and the execution of teams, which can be served not only by the owner.
- The dog cannot be trained by "power" methods. The use of violence for training can provoke a refusal to fulfill even the most simple teams. It will be difficult to restore trust in this case and will need the help of a professional dog handler.
- It is not recommended to be called the Portuguese water dog with diminutive names and nicknames. Representatives of this breed prefer “business”, serious relationships.
- Pets poorly tolerate muzzles, collars. To accustom the Portuguese water dog to wear the necessary equipment from 2 months of age.
Care and content
Portuguese water is extremely unpretentious, special conditions for its maintenance are not required. The dog can live both in the apartment and in the yard. An ideal option would be a private house with a fenced territory with the possibility of daily free walking.
The main departure procedures are simple, but they must be carried out on a regular basis:
- The dog’s muzzle should be cleared of food residues after each feeding. This can be done with a regular dry cloth.
- If the dog has the opportunity to swim often, a separate wash of the wool on the pet is not required.
- Ears and eyes must be freed from dust, dirt and moisture daily. During the activity of ticks, the ear shells must be paid to increased attention. In order to protect the pet from bites, it is preferable to use special collars against parasites the whole season. Moreover, if the pet spends a considerable time for a walk in the water, the period of use of the collar should be halved from the indicated in the instructions.
- Control over the condition of the oral and teeth cavity is carried out once every 10-14 days. To prevent the formation of tartar, tooth brushing must become a mandatory procedure. Portuguese water dogs do not like such manipulations, so the process can become difficult. So that the brushing of the teeth does not turn into torture, the puppy is gently, but persistently must be accustomed to removing the plaque from a very early age.
- Claws grow slowly quite slowly and in most cases grow independently.
Representatives of this breed are very energetic. Therefore, to maintain the nervous and muscle systems in good, it is recommended to use premium and premium plus in feeding (they usually include Hills, Natural Holistic, Purina Pro Plan, etc.). Such food contains the necessary set of vitamins and minerals, and the owner does not have to spend additional funds to provide the pet with everything necessary.
If preference is given to natural feeding, you must include in the diet:
- Beef with veins, meat on bones, chicken, turkey, meat offal;
- Sea fish;
- Raw eggs or low-fat cottage cheese no more than 1 time in 2 weeks;
- Buckwheat and rice porridge;
- Raw vegetables – pumpkin or carrots;
- Apples as a treat.
The number of feedings, as well as food volumes, is recommended to be clarified by the breeder. If such an opportunity is absent, you can use recommendations for feeding dogs medium periods.
The standard amount of feeding in knocks during the growth period of the puppy is:
- from 3 to 5 months: 4-5 feedings;
- from 5 to 7 (8) months: 3 feeding;
- from 7 (8) to 1 year: 2 feeding.
The daily amount of food by 12 months is 1. 5l and the field of this date begins to decrease. An adult dog eats 700-800 gr. Feeding per day, in the winter period, a portion may be increased if necessary.
Vitamin preparations with a natural food scheme are required. Do not save on the health of the pet. It is better to purchase expensive, but proven and high-quality additives of proven manufacturers (Canina, Polidex).
The Portuguese water dog with the right is considered one of the strongest and most hardy breeds. The health of representatives of this species can be called iron.
Dogs rarely get sick, do not require increased attention to their condition and may be contained both in closed rooms and on the street, in the insulated enclosure.
The vaccination of the Portuguese water dog is mandatory.
- Initially, at the age of 2 months, a vaccine is put against coronavirus, plague, viral hepatitis and enteritis. Repeated revaccination is carried out after 3 weeks.
- A rabies vaccine can be placed by a puppy starting from 3 months, but usually it is carried out later – at 6 months, after a change of teeth to the indigenous ones, combining with a complex vaccine.
- At 12 months, the dog is once again vaccinated with a complex vaccine and then vaccination measures are repeated once a year.
Many dog breeds in the period after vaccination are quarantined when all the puppy contacts with adults and other animals are completely excluded. Considering that on the European continent, including USA, this breed is poorly represented, the conditions for the detention of the Portuguese water dog in pos t-alarming 2 weeks are recommended to be clarified by the breeder.
The Portuguese Water Dog is one of the most healthy breeds. Almost all diseases characteristic of these animals are reduced to disorders in the functioning of the nervous system and hip dysplasia.
The first disorder is considered genetic and is not amenable to correction. The second ailment is easily diagnosed at the age of 6 months and can be eliminated by timely intervention.
The preferred option for walking the Portuguese water dog is free movement with daily practical exercises.
In the absence of proper attention, dogs can become stubborn, restless, naughty. To prevent this from happening, the duration of each walk should be at least 1 hour. At the same time, it is recommended to alternate serious physical activity of aerobic type (including swimming) with intellectual exercises of the search plan.
Thus, energy will be spent in the right direction and problems with obedience, subordination to the owner and the development of teams from the pet.
The care of the wool of the Portuguese water dog is not difficult. Bathing is recommended as necessary. Usually 1-2 times a year is enough to maintain the wool and skin of the pet in a well-groomed state. Special shampoos may not be used, except in cases of severe pollution. However, the use of softening rinsers will greatly simplify the combination of wool, especially a curly appearance.
The main care of the wool consists of weekly combing and cleansing from blades of grass and twigs that usually have to get stuck in curls. To protect the wool from pollution in spring and autumn, you can use special overalls. However, it must be remembered that the Portuguese water dog is not enthusiastic about objects that limit its movement. If the owner plans to use seasonal clothes, the pet needs to be accustomed to wearing it in advance.
In addition to the above procedures, the care of animal hair also implies a haircut. The American standard provides for two options:
- Haircut "Leo" (Lion Clip). It is carried out after a uniform growing of the coat on all parts of the body and muzzle. On the middle, rear of the croup and muzzle, the hair is cut as short as possible. On the head and tip of the tail of the hair are left over the entire length.
- Retriever haircut (Clip Retriever). In this embodiment, the entire hairline is cut evenly and shortly – the length of the coat with this hairstyle is no more than 2. 54cm. The exception is the tip of the tail – here, as in the first version, the hair remains long.
Reliable information about the features of the knitting of the Portuguese water dog is recommended to be clarified by the official breeder.
In any case, it is worth remembering the basic rules:
- The knitting is carried out no earlier than 20-22 months, usually after the third estrus.
- Mating is planned for the period between 11 and 14 in the afternoon after the start of the discharge.
- The meeting of "applicants" is always held on the territory of Kobel.
The main points in training
The Portuguese water dog is easily trained. Animals are smart, obedient, with pleasure perform various tasks. The development of teams usually does not cause difficulties even among inexperienced owners. The process of training and socialization is recommended to start from the first days of the appearance of the baby in the house.
If possible, training should be carried out on the shore of the reservoir and include swimming in the complex of exercises for the animal. The Portuguese water dog really loves to splash, and will be happy to execute commands associated with water. Bring a stick or ball, abandoned far from the shore is exactly what such a pet needs.
The main rule in the training of the Portuguese water dog is daily, intense diverse load.
How to choose a puppy
The puppies of the Portuguese water dog are slightly widespread outside the United States. To avoid unpleasant surprises with an adult dog, it is recommended not to purchase babies without documents and contact American breeders directly.
When choosing a pet, you need to evaluate his behavior and appearance. The puppy should be active and contact, and the coat is shiny and smooth to the touch.
The puppy of this breed will cost a tidy sum (up to $3000). However, he is worth it. The dog is considered the best partner in the world and will deliver the work for its owners for many years.