Collar is a must dog ammunition, necessary not only for daily walks, but also for participation in exhibitions, mastering new teams and tricks. What should be considered when choosing? What types of collars are there? How do you choose the right model for your pet?
A bit of history
The first mention of this type of ammunition is found on ancient Egyptian images and animal figurines found in the tombs of noble people. Initially, this accessory was used for cats. However, dogs in ancient Egypt were no less revered, because they were true friends of the pharaohs and guards of their chambers. The first leather accessories were made, they were inscribed with the name of the dog.
In ancient Greece, it was also customary to wear collars on dogs. The worker quadrupeds wore metal spikes. For shepherds, accessories were made of leather with studded edging – this protected them from predator attacks.
In the Middle Ages, each dog "estate" was supposed to wear a certain type of accessory. Four-legged hunters dressed in leather models. Collars of shepherd dogs, just like in Ancient Greece, were supplemented with spikes. Favorites of the highest nobility wore ammunition with all kinds of decorations.
Modern models boast a variety of types and colors. In the manufacture of various materials, fasteners, accessories are used.
Why do you need a dog collar
Collar it is an essential accessory for a walk. Taking your pet by his side or attaching a leash will limit your dog's movement, protecting him from cars, aggressive dogs and unwanted escape.
If the four-legged nevertheless escaped, the collar is a sign that he has an owner. The address book will confirm this.
A number of types of collars (parfors, half-strangleholds, strangleholds) are used to correct the dog's behavior, in training and during trainingch accessories are designed to help the pet learn the necessary skills as quickly as possible.
At night, it is recommended to use luminous models (LED and reflective). They reflect light or emit it, thereby ensuring the visibility of the four-legged for a walk. Well, antiparasitic models will protect your pet from ectoparasites – fleas and ticks.
- The ability to control any dog, even too aggressive.
- A correctly selected model does not cause discomfort in the pet.
- A wide range – the ability to choose an ammunition depending on the purpose, preferences in color, material, additional elements.
Types of collars
Suitable for frequent wear. Everyday models are strong and durable. Equipped with half rings to fasten the carbine of the leash.
The assortment of the “four paws” chain stores presents a variety of ammunition models for dogs. You can choose both a simple leather product and an option with decorative elements – rhinestones or rivets.
Pay attention to Casual Bandan collar from Rurri. Bright colors will make the favorite the most fashionable this season. Bandans are made of durable material, which is easily cleaned. The length of the accessory can be adjusted.
Strict models are designed to correct the behavior of the dog. They are a tape made of leather or metal with spikes directed inside. When choosing partfors, take into account the thickness of the four-legged wool. So, models with long spikes are suitable for dogs with long and thick cover, for short-haired ones – with short ones. Strict collars are not suitable for everyday wear. It is important that in a calm state the product does not have to come back to the dog’s neck – this can create pain.
They are a loop that is tightened on the neck of the dog during sudden movements. The design is made so that it will never be delayed completely, so the maximum that the favorite will feel is easy discomfort. Loasting are used to correct animal behavior that differ in increased activity, while they do not show aggression.
Stripes-deeds are made from:
Used for training and training. It consists of rings and strips that are found in them. The half-reaches does not squeeze the neck with a sharp jerk, respectively, its wearing does not cause the dog discomfort.
The collar of a non-dodes consists of two loops interconnected: one throws around the neck of the dog, the other on its mouth. As soon as the four-legged tries to pull the leash, his head will turn back, signaling that this cannot be done. The loop covering the face looks like a muzzle, but does not perform its function. Ducles are also used for training, that is, they are not suitable for constant wearing.
Exhibition (Noose Leash)
This type of ammunition is necessary to participate in exhibitions. The design of the loop does not allow the animal to lower his head while participating in the event. Noose Leash cannot be worn constantly.
Exhibition collars are a lace made of:
They are worn for a walk in the evening or at night, when there is a risk of losing a pet at dusk.
Luminous collars can be:
1. Led. They radiate light thanks to the dion lights that are inside the product. They are made in the form of luminous “tubes” or nylon models, inside which diodes are located.
2. Reflective. Made from fabric reflecting light rays.
- Shine brightly;
- Visibility radius – from 250 to 500 meters;
- Work from battery or USB;
- You can turn off the backlight function during the day.
Collars from fleas and ticks
Ectoparasites, fleas and ticks are dangerous for pets, because they cause serious health problems. Flech bites are painful, cause itching, skin ulcers, and wool loss. Ticks are carriers of diseases that are difficult to treat, among which are Lyme, encephalitis and others.
For protection against fleas and ticks, special tools are used, produced, including in the form of collars.
Antiparasitic collars are of two types – repellent and insectoacaricidal.
Repellant collars do not kill parasites, but only scare away. Their composition is completely natural, it is based on essential oils (lavender, wormwood and others)ch products can be used by pregnant women, nursing females, as well as puppies
Insecticaricid collars contain insecticides – substances that destroy ectoparasites and their larvae that prevent their bites. The accessory is put on the dog, and for some time the active substance is distributed over the body of the pet. Insecticides included in the products are safe for pets.
The validity of the collars from fleas and ticks is from 2 to 8 months (see detailed information on proprietary packaging). They are waterproof, so you can bathe a pet or walk with it in the rain.
Important! In addition to the collars, you can use other means of protection against fleas and ticks – tablets, sprays, drops on the withers. So the protection will be more effective. Choosing antiparasitic drugs for the pet, do not forget to consult a veterinarian.
Materials for collars
The choice of materials from which this type of ammunition is made is quite wide. There are budget options with a short service life, and there are strong and durable models. Consider the most popular.
Fabric models are easy and practical. It is easy to care for them. They pass moisture, but quickly dry out without losing their qualities and forms.
They differ in reliability and strength, however, they pass the liquid. The canvas wear out faster than leather or rubber.
Leather collars are also durable. Natural material is safe for pets. Models wear out slowly, but low-quality collars can crack over time.
They differ in practicality, do not require special care. However, with such collars it is necessary to be careful: they are not as strong as leather.
Light wear-resistant material is suitable for constant wear. It is easy to wash in case of contamination. The significant advantage of nylon is that it almost never causes allergies.
Biotan is a nylon in a plastic shell. Biotane models are resistant to sunlight, moisture, cold.
Mostly strict accessories and nozzles are made from it. This is the most durable type of material. The high-quality product will not rust, oxidize, last for a long time.
Rubber models often contain reflective and LED elements. They differ in wear resistance.
Inexpensive material and, accordingly, short-lived. In plastic types of ammunition, it is impossible to adjust the size of the dog’s neck, so such accessories are not recommended for puppies.
Types of fasteners of collars
The clasp is also a very important element in the collar, because it depends on its strength whether the favorite can unfasten it.
The main types of fasteners:
1. Buckle. Some models have the opportunity to adjust the lengthch a clasp is very reliable, the probability of unbuttoning is practically reduced to zero.
2. Fastex. A clasp of this type allows you to adjust the length of the model. However, with a strong jerk, the pet can unfasten Fastex.
3. Castleitable for large dogs, as it can withstand strong loads. Castles are more often used in parfons.
4. Carbine. Also a reliable type of fastener, durable and capable of withstand strong jerksch a fastener can be found on parfons and half-reaches.
Amunition fasteners are made from:
- Combinations of plastic and metal.
Accessories for collars
Accessories for collars, beacons and addressees are necessary for the safety of the pet on the street.
It LED pendant which is attached to the accessory. Thanks to him, the dog becomes visible night. This is necessary if you lower it from the leash. Also, thanks to this accessory, the pet is noticeable to passing cars (if he runs out onto the road).
Important! If your favorite is long-haired, then at a long distance the beacon can be invisible. For such animals, the LED collar is better for such animals.
A pendant containing basic information about the dog and its owner. The addressee is also attached to the ammunition.
1. "Bullet". It is a metal capsule, inside which a piece of paper with the contacts of the owner is placedch a model must be periodically checked, as it can unwind.
2. Token. Metal tag on which the engraving by engraving is applied an animal nickname and the owner of the owner (or any other information). These are durable models of material safe for pets.
3 Address with QR passport. To activate the addressee of this type, the owner needs to create a favorite passport in the international pets base Animal-id. Net. A person who has found a dog scans the QR code, and a letter is sent to the owner’se-mail with the GPS coordinates of the location of the pet. The owner’s phone number will also be available.
4. Gps tracker. Allows you to track the movements of the pet. The mobile application shows the location of the dog exactly up to several meters.
How to choose the right size
In order to choose a collar for the dog in size, you need to know the volume of her neck. For measurement, use a centimeter tape. During the procedure, the dog should stand or sit motionless.
Of course, the accessory should be comfortable for the four-legged. Therefore, it is necessary to add to the result:
- 5-7 cm-if the collar is everyday;
- 6 cm – for luck or strict model.
The width of the product depends on the dimensions of the dog. If you have a small dog, narrow models are suitable for it-2-3 cm. Too wide products are not suitable for long-haired dogs-the skin under them will be praut.
How to choose a collar depending on the breed and features of the dog
Models with lining are suitable for kids. The fact is that their skin and wool are sensitive, so the lack of lining can provoke irritation. It is better to give preference to natural materials – skin and fabric. Also, models with decorative elements are not recommended for puppies, because they can damage delicate skin.
For dachshunds, Chihuahua and other small dogs, choose a model 2-3 cm wide. For constant wearing, a smooth collar is suitable, for walking you can choose products with decorative elements.
Dogs with a large neck
For such animals, wide models of leather or tarpaulin are recommended, that is, strong enough. If you choose a collar with a ring, remember: it should be cast, otherwise, with a sharp jerk, the metal element may intertwine. Dogs with a large neck should not wear a collar constantly, since the wool under it is erased.
The greyhounds have a long neck, so they exist for them Special models – wide with softener. Narrow accessories are inconvenient for them, as they crash into the neck if they pull them.
Long-haired pets are suitable products made of soft fabric or leather, since the skin under them will not be washed or praut. For the same reason, the accessory should only be used on walks.
How to put a collar on a dog
It is necessary to accustom the dog to wear a collar from 5-6 months. Start with short time intervals (15-20 minutes), gradually increasing them.
Put the collar on an adult dog so that he cannot get out of it if you or he strongly pull the leash. If necessary, make additional holes. The free end should not hang out, otherwise the dog can gnaw it. Fix it with a special elastic band. Remember: between the collar and neck of the dog, there should be a gap two fingers thick.
In the process of socks, the ammunition can be dirty. The product must be properly careful so as not to damage it and extend the life.
Caring for the collar depends on the material from which it is made, and the number of decorative elements.
Fabric and tarpaulin
Such collars are easily cleaned. For manual washing, it is enough to use Dog shampoo (This tool does not cause allergic reactions in animals)bstance and fabric can be washed in a typewriter in delicate mode, also adding a shampoo for dogs.
Nylon models are cleaned easier than fabric. It is enough to rinse in water with shampoo. Particularly contaminated places can be cleaned with a soft brush. By the way, nylon can also be washed in delicate mode.
Important! If the ammunition contains additional elements (spikes, rhinestones, rivets), it is recommended to put it in the storage container before washing in the typewriter, since the decor can fall off and break the mechanism.
The skin “does not like” water, so washing is strictly contraindicated. Take care of the leather collar like this: dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of shampoo for dogs in a glass of water. Take a soft toothbrush and carefully walk on the product. After that, you immediately dry the waterproof towel.
What you need to pay attention to when choosing a collar
Choosing a model for a pet, we want him to serve for a long time. Therefore, if possible, take the dog to the pet store and try on the product right there.
Pay attention to:
- The seams. They must be even so that they do not rub the skin.
- Buckles. Ideally, if they are securely attached, for example, stitched by the seams.
- Lack of sharp edges.
- The strength and elasticity of the product.
- Furniture. It is necessary to choose reliable mounts and locks that do not unfasten with a sharp jerk.
- Lack of unpleasant odor.
- Hypoallergenicity of the material.
- The ability to adjust the length.
- The ease of wearing a product for a pet.
- Convenience. Between the accessory and the neck of the pet, two fingers should pass freely.
- The collar is necessary for any dog, as it ensures safety on walks, allows it to master new skills, is needed to participate in exhibitions, etc.
- There are several types depending on the purpose – everyday, correctional (parfors, strangles, half-reaches), exhibition (ringworms), antiparasitic, luminous.
- The collar should be light and convenient for the pet, not cause discomfort to it. Pay attention to the evenness of the seams, the reliability of fastening of accessories, the quality of the locks.
- Try to put on ammunition on the dog only for a walk. Even the most comfortable model can rub the skin if you wear it constantly.
- Follow the appearance of the collar. Timely take care of him. As a cleaning agent, it is recommended to use shampoo for dogs – it does not cause allergies and does not affect the sense of smell.
- Do not forget about the accessories for the ammunition – the beacon that provides visibility in the dark, and the addressee necessary in the case of an unforeseen escape.
- When choosing a collar for the animal from ectoparasites, fleas and ticks, seek advice to a veterinarian.
- Choose a collar for convenience, not for beauty. A product with many decor can cause discomfort, irritate. As a result, during walks, the dog will be nervous, cease to obey.