Proper nutrition of dogs
If you are a adherent of natural dog feeding, you need to learn how to correctly balance the diet for your pet. It is necessary to monitor the ratio of proteins, fats, carbohydrates in food, as well as remember about vitamins, macro and trace elements.
Since it is quite difficult to calculate the content of nutrients in a natural diet, it is recommended to use ready-made vitamin-mineral additives. However, you should first consult a dietitian. Natural best storage containers are individual and can negatively affect the health of the pet.
What best storage containers can be fed dogs
As a traditional source of protein and animal fats, a dog adds meat, offal and marine fish, fermented milk best storage containers to the diet. In addition to fats, the body also needs polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6). These substances are found in fatty fish and plant best storage containers.
As a source of carbohydrates to dogs, cereals (buckwheat, rice, oatmeal), and pasta best storage containers made of solid wheat are not recommended to abuse them.
Vitamins and minerals are found in vegetables and fruits. But it must be borne in mind that some vegetables in raw form can cause strong gas formation. Also, dried fruits and nuts should not be given to dogs.
What best storage containers can categorically be can not be given to dogs
There are a number of best storage containers that cannot be given to dogs, since this can lead to poisoning, diseases of the digestive system or other negative consequences for the health of the animal.
- Onions, garlic (in any form) contain harmful substances that can cause problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
- Grapes, raisins lead to acute kidney damage.
- Chocolate, coffee, tea contain a fees, toxic for dogs. In small quantities, this substance can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and in large quantities – damage to the nervous system (to whom, cramps), up to death.
- Avocado contains a peach, a substance that is also toxic for animals.
- A raw fish contains an enzyme thiaminase, which destroys vitamin B1 (thiamine). The lack of this vitamin can lead to the development of neurological disorders.
- Citrus fruits can cause a strong allergic reaction and adverse reactions from the gastrointestinal tract.
- Pomegranate causes severe irritation of the gastric mucosa and can lead to the development of gastritis.
- Broccoli contains isothyocKatete toxic for dogs. With regular use, it can lead to the death of the animal.
- Mushrooms contain a large amount of chitin, which is why the beneficial substances that are in the best storage container are practically not absorbed.
- Sugar substitutes (xylitol) are artificial sweeteners, which are contained in various sweets, are toxic for dogs. Xolit can cause a sharp drop in blood glucose (hypothylics), a decrease in potassium and toxic liver damage.
- The Bones (any) do not carry nutritional value, the PPPs of their defeats form sharp fragments that can injure the walls of the stomach and intestines.
- Bread, sdoba – in bread and other baking contains a large number of easily digestible carbohydrates. Eating in large quantities can lead to abundant gas formation, fermentation in the intestine, which is accompanied by pain, discomfort, colic. In dogs of large breeds, this can lead to the development of an acute expansion of the stomach or inhabitant, which, with unlagination of timely help, can lead to the death of the animal.
- Cat food is inappropriate food for the dog, as it has a different composition than dog food. Regular use of cat food can adversely affect the work of kidneys, liver and pancreas and lead to serious consequences for the health of the dog.
- Alcohol contains ethanol, which is toxic for dogs. Ethanol poisoning can lead to acute damage to the kidneys and liver, as well as damage to the nervous system. In large doses, it can lead to death.
Conditionally allowed dog best storage containers
Some best storage containers are conditionally allowed to give animals, but in small quantities, as they can cause problems with the stomach and intestines, allergies and other negative reactions:
- Raw eggs,
- White cabbage,
- Turnips, radishes.
Dog feeding industrial feed
As for ready-made feeds, as a rule, they already contain the necessary nutrients for the pet, and do not require additional additives. But they are other advantages:
- Ready-made feed have a permanent composition. That is, in the production of each specific feed, the same ingredients are always used in a certain percentage.
- They are balanced by basic nutrients, vitamins and minerals. That is, each food in its composition contains so many proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals that are competently combined with each other, excluding the possibility of both a deficiency and an excess of all elements.
- They have constant quality control and biological safety (checks for the presence of toxic substances and bacterial pollution are carried out).
- They are produced in the form of dry and humid feed, which makes it possible to choose the most suitable option for feeding the pet.
- In addition, there is a wide variety of industrial feeds that are designed to take into account the individual needs of dogs. For this, entire range of types of feeds are produced. They take into account:
- Different age of dogs (puppies, adults, aging animals);
- Size (small, medium, large);
- Physiological condition (active or aging animals, pregnant and lactating, sterilized and so on);
- The state of health of the animal (special feeds for maintaining the health of the gastrointestinal tract, wool, teeth, joints and so on).
Thanks to this diversity, you can always choose a food that suits each specific dog in all respects.
In addition to all this, industrial feed also take into account such a factor as the taste preferences of dogs, for this, feed with a variety of tastes are developed – the main ingredient can have a different source of protein: meat, fish, chicken, lamb. Thanks to this, you can choose a food with the taste for your pet that he likes, but do not abuse a frequent change. Many believe that animals, like a person, need taste diversity, that is, every day a pet should be given food with different taste. In fact, this is not so – animals have much fewer taste receptors. Therefore, food should first of all include all important nutrients in order to provide the animal with the necessary energy. However, if a pet’s taste is like a pet, there is always the opportunity to choose the desired food with another protein source.
Dry and humid food
Wet and dry feeds are a full nutrition. Wet feed contain 80 % of water. Dry feed is included in the composition of dehydrated components, that is, moisture is removed from them. For dogs, it is not a problem to eat dry food on an ongoing basis. But if the nutrition of the animal consists only of dry food, it is important to control the consumption of fluid, so fresh water should always be in the public domain. Some animals prefer wet food. Is it possible to feed the dog with dry and wet food? Yes, they can be combined by observing the daily rate of portions.
How to feed the dog with industrial food
Depending on what type of food you feed your pet (dry or humid), several feeding options are possible:
- Constant free access to the feed. This option is possible if fed with dry food, and the dog is not inclined to overeating.
- Feeding at certain hours. Both dry and humid food are suitable for feeding on graphics.
And at the first and the second feeding option, you need to consider the daily norm of feed for the dog. The norms of feeding depend on many factors, all detailed information can be found on each dog food storage container of finished food.
What type of feeding to choose
As a result, it is the owner who chooses which type of feeding is better for his pet. You can feed both natural foods and industrial feeds, one cannot only combine these types of feeding, which was described in detail at the beginning of the article.
The undoubted advantage of ready-made feed over natural dog food containers is that:
- Creating industrial feed, dietitian experts thought out and calculated all the nuances of the proper feeding of dogs, taking into account their diverse needs, eventually creating a balanced diet for pets;
- Industrial feeds are created in such a way that the feeding procedure takes several minutes a day, the owner does not need to mess with the preparation of food;
- Industrial feed is simply and easy to store, not afraid that they will deteriorate;
- It is much more convenient to use ready-made feeds in traveling than cooking from natural ingredients;
- A variety of types of industrial feed allows you to choose the best food for a pet that suits it in all respects.
Features of puppy feeding
Puppies need special nutrition. Why is it so? The puppy’s body is only formed, its immune system is not yet perfect, metabolic processes are very fast, therefore, full nutrition is necessary for proper growth and development.
The first important period is the elimination period when the puppy passes from eating with milk to eating hard food. During this period, it is recommended to feed the puppy with wet or soaked dry food so that the transition is more smooth, and the digestive system adapts to a new type of power.
Depending on the breed, the growth rate of puppies is significantly different. And the nutrition of puppies of different breeds will also be different. If this is a small breed puppy, then by 6 months it reaches its size in an adult state, it grows quickly and needs a large amount of energy and nutrients. He will suit him feed for puppies of small and dwarf breeds.
Elderly animals also need specialized nutrition. Often, animals already have chronic diseases, often these are kidney problems or, for example, joints. In addition, dogs, like people, suffer from age-related dementia, then for feeding aging dogs you can use ready-made diets Pro Plan ® Veterinary Diets NC Neurocare. Feed for elderly animals take into account their physiological features, the amount of protein is reduced in them to reduce the load on the kidneys, the content of vitamins and antioxidants is increased to improve metabolic processes that slow down with age.
But you should not independently decide what exactly to feed the dog if the animal is sick. Consult a doctor and he will choose the optimal diet for your pet.
Features of dog feeding of different sizes
Dry or wet dog food? How to choose the best food
As mentioned above, puppies of different breeds of dogs grow differently, therefore their feeding is different. The same can be attributed to adult dogs.
Dogs of different sizes have different nutritional needs, and the point is not only in the amount of food.
Small dogs have a faster metabolism. Therefore, they need higher-calorie foods. But if the animal leads a sedentary lifestyle, it can easily gain weight. In this case, it is necessary to reduce the amount of food or transfer the animal to a lightweight diet. Also, the sizes of granules for dogs of small breeds will be smaller, taking into account the size of the jaws and teeth. Dogs of small rocks are prone to problems with the gastrointestinal tract, which is also taken into account in their diet.
Dogs of large breeds, as mentioned above, have a long period of growth, and are fully formed by 1. 5-2 years. Large breed dog food has an optimal balance of calcium and calories to ensure proper development and growth. Dogs of these breeds are prone to joint problems, so the food includes special additives that support the health and mobility of the musculoskeletal system.
Properly selected nutrition will ensure your pet a long healthy life.
Every owner of a dog, acquiring a puppy, is faced with the question: how to feed him correctly? And this issue is one of the key, since proper nutrition has a direct impact on the physical fitness and health of the pet.
Main types of feeding
There are two main types of animal feeding: industrial ration feeding and natural food feeding.
There is also a mixed type, when the animal is fed with both natural food and industrial feed. Unfortunately, many owners adhere to this type of feeding. This is often recommended by breeders, but we’ll make a reservation right away, this is the most unfavorable option for the animal, and any doctor will say that this is wrong. Why is it so?
If the dog’s diet includes only industrial food, there is no need to additionally calculate fats, proteins and carbohydrates, since the composition of the food is already balanced. It satisfies all the needs of the animal, as well as industrial feed can be selected based on the age and physiological state of the pet. When you add something else to the finished diet, an imbalance occurs. You can overdose on any ingredient in your dog’s food. For example, there may be an overabundance of protein in the diet, or too high a carbohydrate content. It should also be borne in mind that the finished feed already contains vitamins and minerals in the required amount. And, as you know, an overabundance of vitamins and minerals has a bad effect on health, as well as their lack. It should also be borne in mind that natural food and feed are digested differently. The body produces different enzymes to digest different types of food, and the residence time of food and natural food in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract varies considerably. Therefore, when feeding with mixed rations, malfunctions in the digestive system may occur.
So, let’s look at the main types of dog feeding.
Feeding with natural food
Puppies of large and giant breeds grow more slowly, the final formation of the skeleton occurs only by 1. 5-2 years. At the age of 4 months, they begin a period of active growth. During this period, it is recommended not to overfeed the puppy and not stimulate the active growth of muscle mass, since the skeleton is not yet formed, and excess weight and an active set of muscle mass can adversely affect the formation of Bones and joints. Calcium intake should also be limited, as the puppy’s body cannot control calcium intake, and almost all calcium from food and supplements is absorbed in the intestines. Excess calcium leads to a rapid closure of growth plates, which can also lead to improper formation of Bones and joints. These features of the diet are taken into account in feed for puppies of large breeds.
Feeding Sick and Elderly Dogs
If your dog is suffering from any disease, he needs a diet. Properly selected food contributes to the recovery and maintenance of the health of the pet.
If the animal is weakened, has undergone a major operation, it needs a high-calorie dietch a dog does not eat dry food, as it often suffers from a reduced appetite. Food for convalescent dogs stimulates the appetite due to its good flavor and aroma properties. In addition, due to its high calorie content, the animal receives the required amount of nutrients in a small amount, such feeds include the PRO PLAN ® Veterinary Diets CN Convalescence.
There are also special diets for animals with digestive problems. This food, such as PRO PLAN ® Veterinary Diets EN Gastrointestinal, is easier to digest and absorb, and puts less stress on the gastrointestinal tract.
If an animal suffers from chronic renal failure, it needs a specialized diet that is reduced in protein and phosphorus to reduce the burden on the kidneys.
Animals with diabetes need a diet that does not cause a sharp rise in blood glucose levels. It could be PRO PLAN ® Veterinary Diets OM Obesity Management for overweight dogs with high blood sugar.
If the animal has skin problems, a tendency to allergic reactions, it is recommended to feed it with special food for dermatoses.
Often, owners have to deal with a problem such as urolithiasis. This is a violation of metabolism, and, unfortunately, the disease is chronic. To maintain the health of the pet, he needs a special diet.
With pathologies of the liver, dietary support is also necessary. The body needs high-quality, easily digestible protein and vitamins. In this animal, the special diet PRO PLAN ® Veterinary Diets HP Hepatic will help.
- Proper nutrition of dogs
- Dog feeding industrial feed
- What type of feeding to choose
- Features of dog feeding of different sizes
- Main types of feeding
- Feeding with natural food
- Feeding Sick and Elderly Dogs