Intestinal obstruction is a serious disease in dogs. In the absence or delay in help, the animal may even die. Signs of the disease can be weakly expressed and in most cases simple poisoning. Some owners ignorance of ignorance of symptoms or self-medication, which only worsens the already difficult situation. Therefore, it is so important to know the symptoms of intestinal obstruction in order to immediately react and deliver the sick animal to the doctor.
Causes of the disease
Clogging or obstruction in dogs is conditionally divided into three main groups:
- Mechanical, most commonly encountered. It occurs for the following reasons: – incorrect food dosage (especially relevant for starving dogs from the street);- undigested or difficult to digest food. This includes veins and bones that the dog can swallow the whole;- swallowing foreign objects on a walk or at home;- blockage as a result of worms after a course of deworming (manifests itself mainly in young dogs). The mechanical-type intestinal is completely guilt. Before taking the animal home, it is necessary to study the rules of maintenance and care, know about the diet and not to overfeed the puppy. Degelmintization should be carried out strictly according to the schedule, even if you do not often walk with the puppy, and he does not communicate with your relatives. For games, select the appropriate toys that are sold in pet stores. Do not give a pet small sticks, foam toys, stones and small objects. If there are children in the family, then children’s toys must be kept in a special game storage container or closet so that the dog does not reach them.
- Pathological blockage – appears as a result of tumors in the digestive tract.
- Physiological obstruction is associated with the spinning gut. The main reason for this is the dog’s super-chip after taking a large amount of food. Also, obstruction can occur as a result of a peritoneal injury, squeezing the intestine by other organs. Physiological obstruction is divided into: – acute – develops very quickly, accompanied by numerous signs. This type of blockage is very dangerous and requires immediate medical intervention. The prognosis of recovery is favorable with timely circulation in the veterinary clinic;- Chronic obstruction, which may not appear for a long time. It is mainly caused by diseases of the stomach and intestines.
The first signs
As has already been written above – obstruction many dog owners take for ordinary poisoning. It is not surprising, because the symptoms of diseases are very similar:
- Decrease in appetite;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Pain in the stomach.
These are primary symptoms. If there is no defecation during a walk, the animal feels bad at the same time, does not eat, the behavior in the abdomen is noticeable, then these are most likely signs of intestinal obstruction, and you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.
If you ignore the primary symptoms, the condition of the pet will deteriorate and lead to the following problems:
- The tone of the abdominal muscles will increase, the dog will try to stretch the hind limbs, while straining the ends of the paws;
- Due to the large number of gases, a strong grumbling in the abdomen will begin;
- Frequent prolonged belching with an unpleasant odor;
- Unsnumbling vomiting. It is possible to remove feces along with the gag.
With such symptoms, the dog can still be saved if you contact a specialist in time. In some cases, a gap and intestinal necrosis occurs, accompanied by dehydration. Oboraryness is partial, but it also poses a danger and requires contacting a veterinary clinic.
How to help a dog at home?
The main rule for the owner of the dog, which has intestinal obstruction is not to self-medicate! No need to force a dog to eat or drink. Do not give the pet anti-rate drugs and laxatives. Of the permitted drugs – painkillers and antispasmodic.
Even if you are outside the city, you should find the opportunity and deliver a sick animal to a veterinary clinic. A dog with intestinal obstruction dies two days after the detection of the first symptoms of the disease.
Treatment and diagnosis
To detect the disease, the dog needs to undergo a diagnostic examination, which includes:
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity;
- General urine and blood tests for the detection of intoxication;
- Inspection at the veterinarian, palpation of the abdomen for the detection of tone and pain.
If the dog has eaten a foreign body, which cannot be seen during anx-ray examination, a special contrast matter is given to the pet to accurately determine the subject. After some time, the pictures are repeated, and depending on the movement of contrast in the intestine, they determine where the blockage occurred.
After finding the place of clogging, the veterinarian decides whether to extract a foreign body without surgical intervention. And if such an opportunity is present, then:
- The dog’s intestinal tract is carried out with special preparations;
- The pet is put a dropper with a medicine that normalizes the digestive tract;
- As a result of dehydration, saline is introduced to normalize water salt balance;
- With pronounced pain symptoms, antispasmodic drugs are injected. Recovery after blockage without surgery includes:
- A balanced diet (nutrition in small portions several times a day, food only in liquid form);
- Bades massage.
In severe cases, an operation is needed in which the doctor determines the lesion of the intestines and the presence of ruptures. With necrosis, affected areas of the intestine are removed.
Recovery after the operation is long. The first and second day after surgery is not fed the dog, put droppers with saline. About two weeks, the dog should be under the supervision of a doctor. Depending on the state, this time can be reduced or increased. Treatment includes anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics.
Prevention applies only to the mechanical obstruction of the intestine. You can protect the dog in the following ways:
- Training, in which the pet should understand well what can be eaten and what is prohibited;
- During absorptions from the house, all available small objects should be removed, which the animal can accidentally swallow;
- If the character of a four-legged friend is capricious and wayward, then walking is made only on a leash and with a muzzle;
- It is forbidden to feed the dog with tubular bones: both raw and boiled;
- All toys should be bought only in pet stores.
At the first signs of obstruction and casement of the intestine, the owner of the pet should immediately contact the veterinary clinic. Ignoring symptoms can lead to death. Be careful and follow the health of your pet.