The puppy in the house is a long-awaited joyful event. But not every owner understands that the behavior of the dog can differ greatly from the rainbow representations of cohabitation. Animals live according to the laws of flocks, behave as they are ordered by instincts.
So that the days spent side by side with the dog do not become unbearable – classes with a puppy must be held daily. A poorly educated pet, even the smallest size can turn into a real tyrant, terrorizing the whole family and the nearest environment.
A dog who is not trained in the commands chases cats, jumps on strangers scaring them. The dog can at any time break off the leash and get under the car.
When to start classes with a puppy
Of the remnants of Soviet times, many people are sure that you need to start training no earlier than the puppy is 6 months old. In many military cynological bases, dogs who have reached a half-year-old age are still brought to the training platform. This is due exclusively with the method of education, military specialists in the majority work through coercion, really not suitable for small puppies.
Together with the course of general training, army dogs are trained in special skills:
- Search for a person in the trail;
- Sample of a thing;
- Search and rescue service;
- Protection of the territory;
- Frontal attack;
- Detention of a criminal;
- Protection of the owner (and abandoned things);
- Search for explosive and narcotic things.
Very small puppies, not yet suitable for special training. But the dog living in the family as a companion should begin to master the basics of education from the first days of appearance in the house.
The puppy at the age of 3 to 7 months is perfectly and quickly trained. This period in the movie is called “Deep memory time. “The commands that the dog mastered at this time are remembered for a long time, without long-term repetitions.
Preparation for dressing
Before starting studying the commands, the instructor must get acquainted with the puppy, enter into trust – to stroke, play or treat it with a treat. The first lesson should be carried out in a well-known baby or a permanent place for walking.
The dog must first be walked to meet natural needs. If the dog wants to use the toilet, it will be difficult for him to concentrate on the trainer.
At the place of the first lesson, there should be no strangers and animals so as not to frighten or distract the puppy. At the initial stage of training, it is very important that the attention of the pet is completely carried away by the instructor.
Before starting classes, you must purchase the appropriate ammunition:
- Soft leather or nylon collar;
- Leash 1 – 1. 5 meters long;
- Leash 5 – 15 meters long;
- A motivating treat or toy.
All equipment must fit the size of the dog and be strong enough not to tear during training.
Basic training methods
In total, 11 methods of skills formation are distinguished in cynology:
- Induction method – the instructor encourages the dog to perform the required action, following the motivation (treat or toy);
- Pushing method – the trainer pushes the dog to the desired activity with the help of a leash or hands, creating unpleasant sensations that immediately stop after the command is completed;
- Passive flexion method – the method is similar to modeling, if the animal does not resist, it is given the desired pose simultaneously with a voice command;
- Method of selection of behavior – the command is given when the dog performs a voluntary action. For example, the pet wanted to Down – the instructor gives the command to “Down” and encourages the dog;
- A way to reinforce a behavioral trait – suitable for animals that have already formed skills, but not quite right – a better performance than the previous one is reinforced;
- A way of reducing a behavioral act to a single element, by reinforcing only one element from the chain of actions;
- Method of alternative behavior – with the help of a certain auxiliary props, such conditions are created for the dog under which the desired behavior becomes the only possible one;
- The way of play behavior – the dog’s need for play and the hunter’s instinct are used as motivation;
- Imitation method – used with the help of a previously trained dog, puppies are able to learn by looking at others;
- The method of defensive behavior consists in avoiding pain sensations by the dog, leading it to the position necessary for the trainer;
- The method of aggressive-defensive behavior is used in special training courses, the impact is so strong that the dog is forced to defend itself.
It cannot be said that any of the above methods is worse or better. Each trainer uses certain methods based on the age, breed of the dog and his own intuition.
Lessons with an instructor
There are several options for classes with cynologists:
- Training with content is not a cheap pleasure, but it is effective. The specialist works with the dog every day, as a result of which the owner receives an already educated dog
- Self-training under the supervision of a zoopsychologist is the best option, a professional teaches the owner to manage a pet, individually or in a group
- Training of skills by a cynologist – in the presence of the owner, the trainer works independently
The choice of a specialist
The choice of a teacher should be taken seriously. It is necessary to find out from experienced dog owners who is better to contact, and not to bribe advertising on the Internet.
Cynologists who have their own blogs and channels on the Internet, as a rule, are not the most qualified specialists. All the material filmed about the wonderful training in 5 minutes is pure water to attract attention to make money on advertising. Good professionals don’t have time for that kind of nonsense.
Training on the site
Classes on the training ground can be held both individually and in a group:
- Group classes are cheaper, but less effective. The dog handler can be distracted by another dog, and not notice the mistakes of other students.
- Individual trainings have a very high efficiency, but they cost more, sometimes even twice. But the attention of the instructor is completely fascinated by one animal and mistakes in training are not allowed.
There is no need to visit sites where owners or trainers beat dogs for not following commands. The pet can remember that the bestdogfood.Expert is scary and subsequently refuse to even go there.
The average duration of classes with an instructor is from 40 minutes to 1 hour. As a rule, training takes place once a week.
A good trainer shows owners how to properly handle a pet, how a skill is formed. The rest of the time he watches how the owners get independent learning and correct mistakes. During a week break, the formation of the skill is practiced independently.
The role of socialization in training
In the process of socialization, the puppy learns to calmly respond to extraneous stimuli. This plays a huge role in raising a controlled dog.
Animals with an insufficient level of socialization become nervous, uncertained, can behave inadequately in the city. The pet is in a state of constant stress in a new environment and refuses to perform commands.
Dogs grown in conditions of social deprivation behave extremely unbalanced and aggressive to people and other animals.
General rules for independent training
The main rules for educating a dog without the help of an instructor are:
- Good motivation – the reward should be very desirable.
- Timely reinforcement – dogs associate reinforcements only with the last action.
- Always achieve the execution of the order – if the pet understands that you can not obey at least once, he will certainly repeat it.
- A huge supply of patience – the nervous state does not allow to think sensibly, the commands are not given correctly, encouragement occurs at the wrong time.
The main thing to understand that a dog is a living creature, this is not a robot always ready for work. They can also get sick or “not have the mood”. If it is obvious that the dog is not determined to work, then it is necessary to revise the motivation or postpone the lesson for another time.
Dog training at home
It is recommended to learn a small puppy exclusively through positive. A tidbit of a piece or a favorite toy as an encouragement is an ideal option. Thanks to this training, the dog begins to trust the owner more, becomes more confident in itself, performs commands with pleasure.
- The active duration of classes with a pet should be about an hour a day, divided by 3-4 times.
- Puppies up to 6 months have a very mobile nervous system, even a 1 5-minute lesson for them is a large load.
From young dogs, especially choleraiks, do not wait for the perfect endurance. Reinforcement should follow immediately after the order. Only after the formation of a persistent reflex should you begin to work out an endurance.
Introduction to the ammunition
Before starting training, a four-legged companion needs to learn that ammunition is an integral part of life. As a rule, there are no problems with a collar, it does not interfere with moving and playing.
In most cases, young dogs perceive the leash as a toy. The dog can bite the hated rope, kick, break out. All unnecessary actions must be ignored, and the pet is distracted from the leash with a toy. Gradually, the baby will get used to the presence of a leash in his life.
Things are much more complicated with a muzzle, this is the most hated ammunition. To facilitate the process, it is necessary to start accustoming to the muzzle from early childhood. To put a muzzle on a dog, you need to take a piece of goodies and put it inside. The puppy will be interested in the smell and stick its muzzle inside.
This action must be commended. This exercise must be done at home daily, gradually increasing the time the muzzle is in the muzzle.
Ammunition must be properly selected, fully fit the size of the dog. After all, no one wears shoes that rub, the motivation to remove them faster prevails over all other desires.
Accustoming to a place or aviary
The “Place” command is a mandatory skill for every dog. A dog place is a warm cozy corner in which the pet rests. You can not send the dog to the place as punishment or be cruel when he is resting there – there will be bad associations, the puppy will be afraid of his bedding.
To teach a dog to enter the aviary on the first command, you need to lure it there with a treat. Feed, saying “well, place”, “well done place” and release. Then, without entering the enclosure, you can throw a toy inside and command “Place”. When the dog runs into the aviary, be sure to praise.
Commands for initial acquaintance
All orders are secondary, the first thing a puppy should learn is its nickname. If the dog does not hear the owner, he will not follow the commands.
After the nickname, they teach elementary control commands:
- “Come / Come here”;
- “Sit, Down, stand (in a complex)”;
- “Fu (no). “
This is the most minimal basis for managing a dog in society.
Features of training an adult dog
There is an opinion that adult dogs are difficult to train or not at all. This is a myth, a competent approach to a pet helps to establish contact with the owner and makes it possible to discipline even an elderly animal.
A dog with a well-established behavior really needs more time to understand what is wanted from it than a puppy. But this does not mean that an adult dog does not need to be trained. A little more patience and time, and even an inveterate marauder in a dog’s clothing will become an obedient, devoted friend.
Necessary commands to control a dog in the city
Constantly contacting social society, it is necessary to be sure of the dog skills, especially for the owners of “potentially dangerous breeds”. At the moment, there is a special pickers called UGS (controlled city dog), it is often confused with OKD (a general training course), but these are two completely different standards. The training of the UGS rate is divided into two stages – on the training platform and in the city.
The first stage (on the site):
- Movement next to the conductor on the leash;
- The movement of a trainer by a trainer without ammunition;
- Planting a dog from movement;
- Laying a pet with endurance and an inspection;
- Laying in the presence of distracting factors.
The second stage (in the city):
How To Teach Your Puppy To Leave It – Professional Dog Training Tips
- Dog meeting with people;
- Meeting with a bicycle;
- The reaction of the animal to the car;
- Behavior at the meeting of runners (rolls);
- Actions at the sight of other dogs;
- The reaction of the pet left on the leash in relation to others.
The main part of the skills is associated precisely with the socialization of the animal, from this the conclusion suggests itself that it is social adaptation in the city that is even more important than the execution of commands.
Whip or gingerbread – which method to choose
Rhetorical question. Another 10 years ago, all dog handlers in chorus kept talking about “dominance” and that the dog should respect the owner. To date, the situation has changed dramatically, an increasing number of zoopsychologists are sure that the dog needs to be raised through positive.
Properly selected motivation makes the dog perform commands with joy, which even looks more spectacular. When the pet is grown without the use of a “whip”, he is absolutely confident in himself and infinitely trusts the owner. Having changed the “gingerbread” to cruelty, there is a great chance to get a intimidated, nervous creature that, at any opportunity, is trying to escape from the owner.
Useful tips from professionals
List of useful tips from a dog handler:
- You need to pronounce the command only 1 time (the only repeating command is “Heel”).
- Each proper action performed correctly should be rewarded (at the training stage).
- Never punish the dog after the call “Come / Come here” (no matter how much, I didn’t have to wait for it).
- Classes should be short-lived, but daily.
- It is strictly forbidden to use corrective ammunition to puppies up to a year.
- It is impossible to underestimate the role of socialization in training.
To educate this companion for a long time and tim e-consuming, but it is worth it. A well-trained pet will not bring discomfort to others, and will not endanger Urban (shoots, cars). An obedient dog is the pride of a worthy owner.
- When to start classes with a puppy
- Preparation for dressing
- Basic training methods
- General rules for independent training
- Features of training an adult dog
- Necessary commands to control a dog in the city
- Whip or gingerbread – which method to choose
- Useful tips from professionals