A nutritious and healthy diet for the German Shepherd is the key to maintaining the dog’s vitality throughout his life. Check out the top brands at Chewy retailers that make truly nutritious foods. The DogFoodExpert has identified a few basic rules of homemade food for German Shepherd dog that should be strictly followed:
- Food should be in moderation, which helps prevent overeating, but also prevents the dog from starving;
- The average satiation time for a sheepdog is a quarter of an hour, therefore leftovers should be put away in the refrigerator or disposed of;
- An adult pet should be fed a couple of times a day, with timing and an optimal portion size;
- dog food should not be salted, since all natural foods and ready meals contain the correct amount of salt for the animal;
- the bowl should always be placed on a stand so that the food can be at the level of the chest area of the dog, and the best option is to use a special device with an adjustable tripod;
- clean drinking water should be available 24 hours a day, and it is especially important to observe this rule when feeding a pet with dry industrial rations;
- When drawing up the menu, preference should be given to the most valuable products and premium dog foods with quality nutritive components as Kirkland. Without replacing protein foods with vegetable crops or porridges.
Even though homemade food saturates the body of the German Shepherd, it still does not contain many useful trace elements as premium dog food. Therefore, it is better to add multi vitamins and supplements to the home diet. This list features the best and most beneficial supplements and multivitamins for dogs:
- Healthy Breeds Multivitamin Daily Dietary Supplement for German Shepherd
- 8-in-1 Formula – Zesty Paws Multifunctional Bites
- PetHonesty Hemp Hip & Joint Supplement for German Shepherd. Improve Mobility, Reduces Discomfort.
- ProSense Vitamin Solutions
The average amount of constituents in an adult German Shepherd’s daily diet
- 30-50% lean meats and by-products;
- 25-35% – cereal products;
- 20-30% – low-fat dairy products;
- 10-15% – fruits, herbs and vegetables.
Particular attention must be paid to the variety of the diet, therefore the menu of an adult shepherd must contain sources of:
Firstly, the optimal portion size is determined only by experience, in the process of observing the dog’s diet. Secondly, overeating can make an animal lazy, sedentary, and quite naturally obese. Also, malnutrition is one of the causes of diseases and a decrease in the quality of life of dogs.
Discover the best German Shepherd books
Your German Shepherd Puppy Month by Month
Everything You Need to Know at Each Stage of Development
The German Shepherd Handbook
The Essential Guide
Dog Nutrition and Cookbook
The Simple Guide to Keeping Your Dog Happy and Healthy
Here are a few recipes of homemade food for German Shepherd:
1 Homemade food Recipe – Beef Porridge for German Shepherd
- Beef trimmings (approximately 1 – 1.3 kg)
- Half a cup of rice
- Fresh cucumber
- Bell pepper
- Greens (dill, parsley, leaf lettuce)
- Vegetable or linseed oil, fish oil
- Take beef trimmings (lamb, turkey, beef offal).
- Pour water into a pan and bring it to the boil. To preserve the meat as much vitamins as possible, put it into the boiling water. After the meat comes to the boil, boil it for 20 minutes.
- While the meat is boiling, in a separate pot we boil rice.
- When the meat is boiled, we put it in a separate container. The broth is poured also in its own jar. Keep all this in the fridge.
- Immediately before feeding the German Shepherd, take everything out of the fridge. We cut the meat into a bowl, add there a tablespoon of boiled grits, fresh vegetables and herbs.
- To make sure that the porridge is not dry, we add a couple of spoons of broth.
- Stir everything well and warm it up to room temperature (even a little warmer).
- Just before giving the German Shepherd a porridge, add a few drops of fish oil or any other natural additive to it.
If you feed your pet twice a day, the amount of a single serving will be about 180-270 grams.
2 Recipe – Chicken hearts with baked apples
- Boil chicken hearts in a small amount of water.
- Grate the apple and carrot, and then bake them in a heated oven for 5-10 minutes.
- We take the hearts from the broth and apples from the oven, and mix everything well. Yum-Yum.
Homemade food for German Shepherd puppy recipe
Homemade food for German Shepherd puppy ingredients:
- bone with meat – 500 g;
- beef offal – 150-300 grams;
- rice – ½ cup;
- buckwheat – ½ cup;
- carrot – 1 pc;
- tomato – 1 pc;
- zucchini – 100 gr.
- Boil broth on the bone and raw meat.
- Chop vegetables and mix with a blender.
- Finely chop the by-products.
- Remove the bone, add vegetables, by-products and groats to the broth.
- Cook until tender.