Today, manufacturers of industrial food for dogs produce a separate line of their products designed to feed puppiesch a specialized series allows the breeders to provide their animals with all the necessary vitamins and microelements for health and growth. However, the choice of such food requires taking into account some nuances.
Types of food
The following products are attributed to industrial production feed for younger production:
- Dry dog food;
- Frozen meat and fish minced meat;
- Canned food (puree, jelly, paste, etc.).
Due to the introduction of modern technologies in the manufacturing process for food for dogs, manufacturers produce a product with a balanced chemical composition. Thus, the owners of young dogs will provide their pet with food, in which the norms of the necessary proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, fiber and vitamins will be taken into account in advance.
There is a generally accepted classification of products designed to feed puppies. Today, food is divided into the following categories.
The best option in the ranking produced today. The manufacturer for the manufacture of feed of this group uses exclusively natural ingredients of high quality. The composition of concentrates is developed with the direct participation of nutritionists, which also positively affects the food.
In addition to natural components, the manufacturer includes vitaminized additives, important trace elements for the development of the growing body of the dog. Therefore, unlike a regular diet, puppies that use industrial feed from a group of holistics do not need to introduce vitamin complexes.
However, products with a similar composition cannot have a low cost, so the high cost of feed determines the extremely low demand for them.
The second class of products that can be fed to puppies also belongs to the high price category. Food is made from quality products. There are no preservatives and flavor enhancers in the composition, flavors and dyes are also prohibited from inclusion, so breeders can be sure that the puppy receives only proven and safe food.
As a rule, super-premium foods consist of meat products and cereals, they also contain about 15 important vitamins, animal fats, antioxidants, amino acids, which positively affect the dog's digestion.
No less good products for feeding dogs, which are much easier to find on the shelves of pet stores, in comparison with expensive feeds. However, breeders choosing a product of this group should be aware that various artificial components may be found in its composition, which do not pose a danger to the health of the animal.
Such a product may be called the Grocery and Utilitarian group. According to most breeders, it is extremely undesirable to introduce such food into the dog menu, since they are usually based on food waste from meat production, soy, various preservatives and other chemicals are also necessarily present in the composition. A product in this category will rarely be certified; it is usually sold in spontaneous markets, in non-specialized outlets.
In addition to the generally accepted division of food into classes, there are also products for medicinal purposes for puppies. Usually, these feeding products are found in trusted manufacturers with a good reputation.
They are recommended for compiling a menu for dogs with allergies, gastrointestinal problems, obesity, etc.
Today, there are some manufacturers on the market whose products are in deserved demand among cynologists and breeders of dogs of different breeds. So, for puppies, they prefer to purchase food of industrial production of the following brands.
Acana Puppy & Junior
Products belong to the universal category, so they can be used for animals of any breed and size. The food contains the following ingredients:
- Meat, offal;
- Seafood, including seaweed;
- Berries and fruits;
- Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.
The manufacturer uses as a carbohydrate component of oatmeal, sugars contain a minimum amount. Hypoallergenic food, however, is not on sale in all stores.
Low-carb feed for puppies, which contains the meat component – about 75%. The manufacturer offers products from different varieties of meat, including lamb, rabbit; seafood, legumes, herbs, eggs, vegetables and fruits. According to reviews, the products contribute to the strengthening of immunity, positively affects the digestion and condition of the woolen cover of the animal. Among the shortcomings, the presence of a small volume, as well as the high cost of feed of the Canadian manufacturer, should be distinguished.
Almo Nature Medium Puppy
The product contains about 50–53% of the meat component, the remaining ingredients are cereals, plant additives, vitamins and trace elements. Products are more affordable in cost, does not cause allergic reactions in animals.
The manufacture of feed for puppies of this brand is engaged in the Netherlands, grain crops will be predominant in the products, the manufacturer also uses dried or dehydrated meat. As a rule, this is a chicken or lamb. The BestDogFood.Expert products of this brand have in its composition fats and proteins, as well as the main mineral and vitamin additives.
Domestic food for puppies, where meat is a predominant ingredient. The product is enriched with omega-3, cereal components in such feeds are replaced with potatoes or legumes.
Purina Pro Plan
In the line of feed for puppies from this manufacturer, products for animals of different breeds and sizes are presented. The product is dominated by a low-fat turkey, dry flesh beets as a source of fiber, corn. Some options include analogue of the youth of animals, which has a beneficial effect on the growth and health of the dog.
However, corn flour acts as a strong food allergen, so the products are not suitable for every puppy.
How to choose High protein puppy food for large breeds?
In order to correctly organize the diet of a growing dog, it is necessary to take into account the needs of the animal’s body at each stage of its growth. Therefore, when choosing food, the following recommendations should be taken into account.
- The growing body is very important protein, which is responsible for the growth of muscle tissue. Also, the selected products should contain the ingredients that can replenish the deficiency of calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus. Vitamins C and E.
- In order for the dog to receive energy portions of food, it is worth paying attention to the carbohydrates in the composition of the selected food: it is important that they belong to the group of easily digestible.
- Puppies are allowed to alternate dry and wet dog food. In addition to diversifying the menu, alternation will satisfy all the needs of the body, normalizes the water-salt balance.
- When choosing food, the breed of the animal will be the determining factor. As a rule, puppy food manufacturers take into account all the features of the animal's body, including its size. Therefore, on sale there are food for small breeds of dogs, consisting of small pieces of food, more convenient for chewing. Medium-sized dogs are recommended to purchase food with a fat content of no more than 18%. For large breeds, food is usually made with a high content of nutrients, which will strengthen the bone and muscle system.
- There are universal feeds, which can be sorted out by dividing them into classes and age groups of animals. Their composition includes the most important vitamins and minerals, so it will be suitable for a puppy of any breed.
Can adult dogs be fed?
Some inexperienced breeders feed their puppies with industrial foods designed for feeding adult dogs. However, such a menu can have an extremely negative impact on the pet's health with prolonged or constant consumption of products for four-legged pets of the adult group. There are several reasons why such a product is not suitable for growing dogs:
- As a rule, croquettes for other age groups will be larger and also harder, which can make feeding difficult, in some cases impossible;
- In terms of its chemical composition (BJU), the products will differ significantly, which will reduce the benefits of eating adult food;
- Products for adult dogs also lack the necessary additional supply of vitamins and trace elements that a puppy needs for growth.
Norms and rules of feeding
The volume and frequency of feeding a growing dog will depend on its age. There are also several recommendations that will help you properly organize your pet's diet.
- Norms of food intake should be strictly controlled by the breeder of the dog. You should not add food to the bowl if there is still some part of the uneaten food left in it. After eating, the bowl should be removed, leaving only clean water.
- If the dog's diet consists of industrial feed, then after eating the puppy should not be additionally treated with various delicacies. A mixed diet and overfeeding can cause serious diseases in an animal.
- A double portion, even if the pet missed one feeding, is prohibited. This option will cause overeating, and the dog will be completely satisfied with the standard amount of food.
- You should not buy economy-class products for your pet, which for the most part consist of preservatives.
- After eating, do not tire the dog with active games.
- According to the behavior of the pet, you can roughly determine the amount of food recommended for one meal. If after each feeding the animal diligently licks the plate, then the amount of wet or dry dog food can be slightly increased.
- It is also important to take into account the recommendations on the norms indicated on the food packaging. As a rule, the manufacturer draws up a detailed table indicating the age and amount of feed required for one feeding.
- When scheduling a dog's feeding, it will be useful to adjust to your daily routine so that the animal receives food at exactly the same time.
The number of feedings per day will depend on the age of the puppy, there are universal recommendations that breeders of four-legged pets can follow:
- At the age of one to two months, the animal must be fed about 5-6 times;
- At 2-4 months, you can reduce the frequency of meals by one time;
- By six months, the dog will already have enough 3-4 feedings per day;
- Pets older than 6 months and up to 10 months should eat 3 times a day;
- After 10 months, 2 feedings will be enough for the animal.
The accustoming of small dogs to food should be gradual, if there should be no problems with wet products, then with dry croquettes, pets may have difficulties at first. The breeder will need to soak the food at first, however, with the advent of the first milk teeth, this will no longer be necessary. However, soaked granules spoil very quickly, so food leftovers should not be offered to the dog at the next feeding.
As a liquid for soaking croquettes, you can use warm boiled water or milk.
About what you can not feed a puppy or dog and why, see the next video.