The remedy allows you to quickly help the pet with diarrhea. Improvement in the condition comes 2-3 days after the start of therapy. Liquid stools stop completely, usually on the 5th-6th day.
How to give Enterofuryl to a dog with diarrhea: dosage in capsules and suspension
In the complex therapy of bacterial enteritis and poisoning, veterinarians often prescribe Enterofuryl to the dog. The drug does not belong to antibiotics, so it does not have a negative effect on the digestive tract of the animal. Antidiarrheal drug has a devastating effect on many intestinal pathogens and reduces their toxic effects on the body. When enteritis of viral etiology, Enterofuryl prevents the development of bacterial superinfection.
The remedy allows you to quickly help the pet with diarrhea. Improvement in the condition comes 2-3 days after the start of therapy. Liquid stools stop completely, usually on the 5th-6th day.
Enterofuryl is available in capsules (100 and 200 mg) and in suspension (5 ml corresponds to 200 mg of the active substance).
Can dogs be given Enterofuryl
The use of intestinal antiseptic in dogs is possible under indications of the veterinarian after the initial diagnosis. The feasibility of further use of the drug is revealed by the results of tests.
The drug is effective against intestinal bacteria, but has no effect on viruses. Assignment for viral infections is due to the ability of the drug to prevent the development of bacterial superinfections.
Studies of the drug revealed no teratogenic effect. However, Enterofuryl should be given to pregnant and lactating bitches with caution and in short courses.
It is especially dangerous to use the drug without prescription in puppies. Often the young are diagnosed with viral enteritis, which has similar symptoms to poisoning. Improperly carried out therapy threatens fatal outcome of the pet.
Composition and mode of action
The main medicinal component ─ nifuroxazide, which has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial action. The pathogens susceptible to the antiseptic are:
- Salmonella spp;
- Escherichia coli;
- Clostridium perfringens;
- Campylobacter jejuni;
- Vibrio cholerae;
- Staphylococcus spp.
Nifuroxazide destroys the protective coating of pathogenic bacteria, which leads to their death. Additionally it reduces the release of toxins by pathogens and restores normal intestinal microflora.
Some microorganisms show resistance to Enterofuril. These include Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella spp. and Providencia indologenes.
The drug substance is practically not absorbed, showing antimicrobial effect only in the intestinal lumen. It is excreted from the body with the feces.
Indications and contraindications
Enterofuryl for dogs is used for poisoning and enteritis, accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting.
With an increase in body temperature and deterioration of the pet against the background of intoxication, the therapy should be reviewed and the antimicrobial drug should be replaced with an antibiotic prescribed by the veterinarian.
Enterofuryl is contraindicated in dogs with intolerance to nitrofurans and other constituents.
Dosage and method of administration
The frequency of administration and dosage depend on the severity of the dog's condition, body weight.
The dosage for 2 ─ 2-5 kg of animal weight in case of diarrhea is 1 ml of suspension.
In capsules the drug may be given only to adults and large pets weighing 10 kg or more. The dosage in this case is 40 mg for every 2.5 kg.
For diarrhea Enterofuryl is prescribed from 1 to 3 times a day, depending on the condition of the dog.
Puppies up to 3 months of age may be given the drug only when indicated by a doctor and in a strictly prescribed dosage.
If there is no improvement on the 2-3 days after the start of administration, you should contact the veterinary clinic for a change of treatment tactics.
The course of therapy for the dog is 5 to 7 days. The duration of intake may be increased according to the indications of the treating veterinarian.
During the treatment with Enterofuril, the dog should drink plenty of fluids to restore the water-salt balance and prevent dehydration of the body.
If water is refused, the animal should be given water from a syringe without a needle.
During the first 24 hours after poisoning, the dog is shown a starvation diet.
In case of signs of systemic lesions in bacterial diarrhea, it is necessary to consult a doctor for the appointment of antibiotics.
Analogues and reviews
You can replace Enterofuryl with the drugs Stopdiar, Nifuroxazid, Ersefuryl, Ecofuryl, which are analogues according to the main active substance.
Reviews left on the forums about the antimicrobial agent confirm its effectiveness in diarrhea in dogs of bacterial origin.
The dog started vomiting out of the blue. Vomiting was similar to kefir. While walking I noticed that the dog became lethargic. Diarrhea began. The feces stank unbearably. Took the dog off to the vet. The initial diagnosis was enteritis. He was given an IV and prescribed Enterosgel 15 ml four times a day and Enterofuryl 5 ml once a day. The doctor said that you have to do glucose drips for 2-3 days. The dog felt better on the third day. The diarrhea decreased, the vomiting passed. On the fifth day the animal had recovered completely.
The puppies 6 days ago began to have liquid stools. I decided to give Enterofuryl. One went away the next day, but the other had diarrhea with blood in a couple of days. I went to the vet. They said it was an intestinal infection and prescribed citrofloxacin. Besides antibiotics we prescribed Rehydron, Vicasol, and we were advised not to feed for a day. The puppy felt better, became more cheerful, but the diarrhea has not yet completely gone.
Enterofuryl literally saved my adult yorkie. My dog is 9 years old now. Foolishly I gave him cauliflower, and the next day he stopped eating and drinking, and began to poke green. Called a veterinarian I know, said to give Enterofuryl, and in the morning to see him. I gave a suspension of 2 ml 3 times a day. The medicine tasted sweet, so the dog swallowed it without resistance. Vomiting was gone the next day. The doctor additionally prescribed Enterosgel and IVs. On the fifth day, the yorkie was completely revived, became cheerful, woke up his appetite. From personal experience I can say that enterofuril is the number one drug for a dog with diarrhea.
Education: Moscow State Academy of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology. K.I. Skryabin, Department of Veterinary Medicine, specialty – veterinarian
How to give Furazolidon to a dog if he has diarrhea
Furazolidon to the dog has long been used in the treatment of all kinds of gastrointestinal disorders associated with infections and poisoning. With the rapid development of the pharmaceutical industry in recent decades, many new drugs have appeared, but the relevance of furazolidone remains high now, especially in veterinary medicine.
- gastrointestinal tract disorders;
- diarrhea or diarrhea;
- nausea, vomiting;
- lethargy, weakness;
- refusal to eat.
Furazolidone belongs to the group of nitrofurans with strong bactericidal effect. This effect is achieved at the expense of acceptor properties in relation to oxygen, and in microbial cells in the lack of oxygen the processes of oxidation-reduction and synthesis of nucleic acids are terminated, and as a result the cells die.
Furazolidone is of slow action type, its absorption occurs through the stomach and intestines within 14 – 16 hours, as it enters the blood, after one hour, it begins its effect, and after two hours the bacteriostatic concentration of furazolidone is reached, which is held for 12 hours.
At the same time, furazolidone is almost nonaddictive, has no toxic effects on the body, is excreted by the kidneys and through the gastrointestinal tract within 1 – 2 days. This makes the drug in demand in veterinary medicine to this day, especially for the treatment of young agricultural and domestic animals.
- pneumococcus; ;
- Candida fungi, etc.
The drug is especially valuable in case of mass infection of animals, in combination with antibiotics it helps to successfully stop the spread of infection. This applies to kennels and animal shelters. In addition to the therapeutic action, a general strengthening effect of furazolidone on the body was noted – an increase in hemoglobin, total protein and creatinine in the blood.
- rapid access to the infected area;
- duration of action;
- good compatibility with other drugs;
- absence of pronounced toxicity.
Furazolidone turns out to be more active in its antimicrobial action in many cases than levomycetin, chlortetracycline and streptomycin.
Form of production of the drug
Furazolidone is a powder of yellow color, odorless, with a bitter taste. It is available in powder form (2.5 kg, 1 kg, 100 g, 500 g packages) and in tablets containing the active substance 0.05 g (i.e. 50 mg).
For 1-2 animals the tablets are used, which are crushed to powder and mixed with feed. If you need to treat many animals, it is more convenient to use the powder, which is immediately added to the feed.
Instructions for the drug furazolidone
Furazolidon for diarrhea (for large breeds of dogs) is recommended to use 1 tablet 3 times a day for 4-6 days, depending on the condition of the dog.
Furazolidon for puppies (as well as for kittens) for a single intake is calculated 3-5 mg/1kg weight of the animal.
Sometimes a longer duration of treatment is required, up to 10 days, but more is not recommended. Also, an overdose should not be used, since the bacteriostatic action of furazolidone is effective in small doses, and the excess will be deposited unproductively in body tissues in the form of metabolites (decomposition products), causing side effects.
- lactation period;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
- With caution, list B;
- temperature from 5 to 25 o C;
- in a dry place;
- no access to light;
- Shelf life 5 years from the date of manufacture (indicated on the package) subject to compliance with all storage rules.
Diet for diarrhea in dogs
With any dog diarrhea, special care should be taken with the diet from the beginning of the disease. For the first 24 hours, give only fresh clean water and do not give food. From the next day start offering boiled chicken, shredded boiled beef and boiled rice. After a few days, the dog is transferred to regular food, as it gets better.
Furazolidone in veterinary medicine
In veterinary practice, furazolidone is used not only for dogs and cats, but also for cattle, birds and fish for all kinds of infectious diseases.
- 4-5 mg/kg weight – to calves;
- 10 mg/kg of weight – to piglets;
- 2.5-3 mg/kg weight – to chickens;
- 1-2 g/kg of feed – to carps (in case of rubella).
Meat of animals treated with furazolidone is suitable for human consumption not earlier than 4 days after drug intake, if earlier than 4 days – only for animal feed and for preparation of meat and bone meal.
Milk from animals may not be used as food during the entire duration of treatment and 2 days after the last intake, it is used only to feed animals.
Causes of diarrhea in dogs
It is not recommended to treat the dog or any other animal without first consulting a veterinarian, so that your actions do not cause irreparable harm to the animal.
We must remember that dog diarrhea can be due to various reasons and does not always require the immediate start of therapy with medication, and is often eliminated in a few hours by eliminating the cause that caused it.
- Improper nutrition or spoiled food, individual intolerance of components (allergies, indigestion). In this case, the cause can be eliminated by simply changing the food;
- Poor water quality and a sudden change of food, for example from dry to canned food. In this case you should first test with a small portion of food and wait for the reaction of the dog. This way you can gently select the right food for the dog;
- Parasites in the dog's intestines are a very common cause of diarrhea in dogs. Helminths are difficult to see and recognize with the simple eye, requiring a stool test for helminth eggs. A regular preventive treatment of dogs against helminths (once every few months) is recommended to help remove this cause altogether;
- Having been vaccinated the day before, the dog may develop a complex reaction to the vaccine administered. It goes away on its own, but if it happens again, you need to go to the vet for a consultation;
- A pregnant dog may have early stage toxemia accompanied by vomiting with diarrhea. The situation should not be left on its own to prevent dehydration, which will lead to miscarriage. You need to change your diet and introduce more fiber into it;
- After delivery diarrhea can be caused by the afterbirth eaten by the dog. Cow's milk is also a bowel laxative;
- Acute diarrhea is caused by an infection with bacteria in the water or food. In this case, the dog needs antimicrobial therapy, with furazolidone and antibiotics;
- Viral infection is a very serious threat to dogs, generating severe disorders. The causative agents are plague of carnivores, coronavirus, parvovirus. It is impossible to cure on your own, you need to urgently take your dog to the clinic, the outcome can be fatal;
- Side effects of medications that were used in the near future. Read the instructions and choose another medication;
- Fungi and protozoa (giardia, trichomonas) – require special treatment;
- Dysbacteriosis, avitaminosis, metabolic disorders – requires restoration of normal intestinal microflora with lactic acid products or drugs;
- Mechanical trauma of the intestine by foreign objects – it is necessary to remove them;
- Stresses – when moving, losing or changing owners, etc. Requires a calm regimen and gentle dietary foods.
- Green stools – indicates rancid foods in the food;
- white color – sign of a biliary tract problem;
- yellow diarrhea – simple indigestion;
- orange shade – acute process in liver;
- dark, black diarrhea – presence of bleeding in the intestine, it requires immediate investigation;
- bloody diarrhea – always dangerous, a consequence of salmonellosis, leptospirosis, atypical rabies, intestinal damage from a bone or foreign object, and chemical poisoning;
- diarrhea with mucus – often occurs during treatment for worms, when they come out as mucus during the digestion stage, as well as in diseases of the large intestine;
- Diarrhea with blood and mucus – you need to examine the stool for protozoa and worms, blood for biochemical analysis, to rule out intestinal tears.
Treatment package for uncomplicated diarrhea in dogs
Diarrhea in dogs can be a single or repeated for several days with subsequent normalization of the stool. This is not terrible, but it requires careful monitoring of the dog's condition and uncomplicated assistance to it by one's own efforts. If in addition to diarrhea appears mucus and stool color changes, vomiting and severe weakening of the animal due to dehydration, then you should immediately contact the veterinarian.
At the first signs of illness it is important to analyze the previous day's diet for poor quality food, change of habitual food and water for drinking, overeating. Eliminate stress, foreign bodies in the dog's intestines and other possible causes. If the diarrhea continues after that, albeit without aggravating symptoms, treatment should be arranged for the dog.
A sample treatment plan for uncomplicated diarrhea in dogs:
- Do not let the dog eat for a day, but be sure to drink clean water frequently to replenish the water and electrolyte balance in the dog's body;
- Furazolidone 1 tablet x 3p/day until the diarrhea stops, maximum 10 days (see furazolidone instructions for more details on the dosage);
- Adsorbents (e.g. activated charcoal) to remove toxic poisons from the intestine;
- In very heavy diarrhea and vomiting, intravenous infusion solutions as prescribed by the veterinarian (saline, glucose, vitamins, etc.);
- In case of prolonged diarrhea, add antibiotics (levomycetin, streptomycin, chlortetracycline);
- In the presence of worms to treat with anthelmintic drugs.
If complications arise, especially in puppies, the disease should not be neglected and timely seek specialized help at the veterinary clinic.
About the author: Anna Alexandrovna Maksimenkova
Practicing veterinarian in a private clinic. Areas of specialization: therapy, oncology, surgery. Read more about me in the "About Us" section.
Enterofuryl for dogs – a treatment for diarrhea
Stomach upset, liquid stool in the dog is not an uncommon phenomenon, which is not always harmless. In some cases, diarrhea is a symptom of a serious infectious disease and requires an urgent visit to the veterinary clinic. Any diarrhea that lasts for several days is dangerous – or rather the dehydration that results. Enterofuryl for dogs can help manage diarrhea without negative health consequences.
The drug is used for diarrhea, which is caused by pathogenic bacteria. The active ingredient is nifuroxazide, it quickly copes with the infection, eliminating the unpleasant symptoms of the disease.
The drug comes in two forms: suspension and capsules containing different amounts of the active component.
Animals can't tell you what's hurting them. Only pronounced symptoms will tell a caring owner that he or she needs to see a veterinarian. One of the signs that indicates a health problem in a pet is the color of the feces. In a healthy dog, it is brown in color and formed.
If the feces have changed color, consistency – this is a reason to be alert:
|Yellow.||Possible with stress, upset (indigestion) of the stomach. Common "human" preparations (activated charcoal, Smecta, Loperamide) will help restore intestinal function|
|White||Seen in cases of liver disease, blockage of bile ducts|
|Green||Poor quality food poisoning – requires immediate contact with the veterinarian|
|Black||Harmless causes (intake of activated charcoal, change of diet) to serious and dangerous (damage to stomach or duodenum)|
|Red||With the presence of blood – severe trauma, tumors in the gastrointestinal tract|
|Liquid||Watery – stress, poisoning or worms, infection.|
|Diarrhea with mucus||Infection, inflammation, intestinal worm infestation.|
Intestinal disorder, which is accompanied by liquid stools, requires a visit to the veterinarian, because such a symptom can signal a serious disease. Enterofuryl copes well with diarrhea of different origin, but the elimination of the sign of the disease will not get rid of it, but can "blur" the picture of the disease.
Important! Normally, the dog can defecate up to 2-4 times a day. Increased frequency of urges, liquid stools – already pathology.
Enterofuryl is used to eliminate diarrhea of different origin:
- poisoning with low-quality or spoiled products (the most common cause);
- A change of diet (switching from natural food to industrial food, or even a change in the brand of food);
- Heat, stuffy environment;
- helminth infestation. As a result of helminths in the body can become an infection, a sign of which is diarrhea;
- foreign body in the stomach;
- intoxication with chemical poisons (this may be indicated by bloody flecks in the feces);
- viral or infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as a result of which the microflora in the intestine is disturbed (a characteristic sign is mucus in liquid feces);
- cancer (often accompanied by bloody diarrhea).
Stool disorder can be a sign of an allergic reaction, the presence of rectal polyps, other intestinal diseases which irritate its walls.
Important: When taking some medications may be a slight disorder of the stool, which itself passes in 1-2 days. Such diarrhea does not require treatment.
Enterofuryl is a broad-spectrum drug, it has a pronounced antibacterial effect. At the same time, acting actively against pathogens, beneficial bacteria are not exposed to the action of the drug.
For the treatment of dogs, the suspension is most often used. The pleasant taste and aroma of the drug attracts animals, which perceive the medicine as a treat.
The drug is used orally, the required dose is calculated based on the weight of the animal: 1 ml of suspension per 1 kg of body weight of the dog. Cases of overdose of the drug and negative consequences of this have not been revealed, but the requirements of the instructions should be followed.
When taking capsules, the dose is calculated as follows: 40 mg of the active substance per 2.5 kg of the body weight of the pet. The treatment scheme suggests that the drug should be given to puppies and adult dogs three times a day, with an interval of 8 hours.
Important: The suspension can be given to puppies from 1 month of age, capsules – after one year. The drug is allowed to pregnant and lactating females, but only after consultation with a veterinarian.
Continue treatment for at least 7 days. Since the drug acts on microorganisms selectively, you should not be afraid of disturbing the balance of beneficial and harmful bacteria in the body.
Important: Diarrhea cannot be treated with medication alone. Compliance with a diet for the entire treatment period is required.
With diarrhea, it is necessary to combine treatment with Enterofuril with a diet. In the first day, starvation is recommended. The pet should be provided with constant access to clean water, since during diarrhea a lot of liquid escapes from the body, and its balance must be replenished. The menu of the second day should consist of liquid rice porridge boiled in water and sour milk products. The dog should be fed several times a day, but in small portions.
Enterofuryl can be taken even if the cause of diarrhea is not established. The drug has no contraindications, unless nifuroxazide, the active ingredient of the drug, has individual intolerance to the dog. You can check its presence in the following way: apply a small amount of suspension to the pet's nose. The dog will lick the sweet medicine. In the absence of irritation, allergic reaction, a full dose can be given within 1-2 hours.
Taking any medication, even the safest, can have adverse effects. Enterofuryl may cause:
- Local allergic reactions (skin rash, itching, irritation);
- nausea, vomiting;
- general malaise;
- runny nose;
If such symptoms occur, it is necessary to stop taking the drug and consult a veterinarian. He will prescribe another anti-diarrheal drug, as well as symptomatic treatment of allergies.
Dangerous manifestations of allergies are considered to be Quincke's edema, anaphylactic shock. Quincke's edema is manifested by swelling of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. The reaction develops very quickly: you can see the swelling of the throat, the dog begins to suffocate. It is necessary to urgently contact the veterinarian, since the attack can only be stopped by special medications.
Anaphylactic shock is a severe allergic reaction, causing:
- swelling of the larynx;
- Shortness of breath.
Prednisolone is prescribed to eliminate dangerous symptoms.
Important! Enterofuryl can be combined with other drugs, no side effects have been recorded.
For the treatment of diarrhea of various etiologies, not only Enterofuryl is used. Analogues of the drug in terms of action can be considered:
- Loperamide (because of the strong concentration of the active substance can only be used for large dogs);
- Smecta (sorbent improves intestinal peristalsis, has a detoxifying property);
- Activated charcoal – effectively removes toxins;
- Levomycetin, Loperamide – antibiotics designed to eliminate different types of infection.
Since each of the drugs has its own contraindications, only a veterinarian can prescribe them.
Olesya, owner of a pug
Almost every walk my dog tries to pick up something from the ground and eat it. Sometimes under-inspection – and the diarrhea is guaranteed. The dog suffers, so on the recommendation of the vet I use Enterofuryl. It is easy to give the suspension, it has a pleasant taste, and my dog almost opens his own mouth so that I give him a "treat". Serious poisonings, infections have not happened yet, and with mild diarrhea we are saved by Enterofuril.
Dina, owner of a Yorkshire Terrier
I have only good impressions of Enterofuryl. My dog ate cauliflower, and the next morning he had diarrhea. Did not eat or drink. The pills (I repent, tried to give antibiotics) did not help. The temperature dropped, the dog was already lying down, not getting up.
The vet scolded me for self-medication and gave Enterofuryl. Fed the four-legged friend capsule, forcibly infused water. Then gave the second pill, and at night I monitored the condition of the dog. After a day or two the condition improved, but the diarrhea disappeared completely only on the fourth day. I continued to give the medicine for 7 days.
Every dog owner should have this medicine in his medicine cabinet. It is safe and can be given even to small puppies. It works gently, quickly eliminates diarrhea, but to get rid of the infection or toxins caused by poisoning immediately can not be canceled – you need to give up to 7 days. Side effects in my memory from Enterofuryl did not happen.