Cough medicines for dogs: list of basic drugs
In veterinary practice, there are many cases in which animal owners mistake the symptoms of the disease for the disease itself. For example, coughing is not a disease. It is only its manifestation, and therefore, first you need to find out what caused its appearance. Nevertheless, cough medications for dogs are widely used to relieve the animal’s condition.
Since the cough in many cases is a consequence of the activity of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microflora, dogs are almost always prescribed antibacterial drugs.
As a rule, antibiotics act in this role:
cough tabs for dogs dosage: list of basic drugs
- Cefazolin. An antibiotic from the cephalosporin group. It is prescribed in a standard dose of 20 mg/kg of live weight.
- Ceftriaxone. Belongs to the same group, used in a dose of 20 to 40 mg/kg of weight.
- Doxycycline. A powerful antibiotic from the tetracycline group. For the treatment of animals, it is prescribed only in cases where the inflammation that caused the cough cannot be stopped by other means. The standard dose is 5 to 10 mg per kilogram of weight. The duration of treatment is no more than a week, once a day, but usually the therapeutic course is rarely prolonged for more than three days.
- Ciprolet from the group of fluoroquinolones. Like the last drug, it is prescribed for severe coughs and when serious bacterial infections are suspected. It is given in a dose of 150-400 mg per animal twice a day for up to ten days.
Important! All of the above drugs can cause serious digestive disorders if used for a long time. Probiotics are always prescribed along with them. This is really necessary for dogs!
Drugs from this group are prescribed for dry, hard and painful coughs. They allow to dissolve sputum and comfortably remove it from the animal’s body. The following remedies are commonly used in veterinary medicine:
- Regular licorice syrup. It is very cheap and relatively effective. Dogs are given about a teaspoon three times a day.
- Thermopsis herb. It is not necessary to give it in pure form or in the form of a solution. For the same purpose, Mucaltin or “Cough pills” are excellent. Give two or three tablets three or four times a day. The medicines are practically harmless and can be used for a long time.
- Anise and dill seeds. 0.5-2 grams per animal three times a day.
- Bromhexin. Half a tablet up to three times a day for 10-14 days.
Many experienced breeders know that a frequent cause of cough in dogs is… helminths. Their larval forms spend about two weeks in the lungs of the animal, causing inflammatory reactions. In these cases, both the above-described antibacterial agents and antiparasitic drugs are prescribed. We will list only a few, as there are many times more of these remedies:
Top 100 Prescription Drugs | The Most Common Medications To Know Brand and Generic Part 1
- Prazitel (especially convenient in the form of a suspension). It is given in a dose of 1 ml for each kilogram of puppy weight or a milliliter for every 10 kg of adult dog live weight.
- Milbemax. Depending on the weight of the pet, given from ½ tablet to three tablets. Once. If necessary, the treatment is repeated after 10 days.
- Caniquantel Plus. Give one tablet for every 10 kg of body weight.
In addition, there are dozens of other varieties of drugs, so it makes no sense to describe them all.
Combat heart cough
In older dogs, a frequent cause of gurgling and persistent coughing is heart problems. If the blood does not circulate normally in the small circulatory system, pulmonary edema may occur, accompanied by exudate effusion.
To reduce the likelihood of such abnormalities and make breathing easier for the pet, he is prescribed medications that prevent the development of edema. And most often these are trivial diuretics (drugs that increase urination):
- Torasemide. The dose – from 0.5 to 1 mg for each kilogram of weight of the dog. In addition, Furosemide, which is a complete analog of this drug, can be used for the same purpose.
- Hydrochlorthiazide. The dose is from 1 to 2 mg per kilogram of weight.
Important: All diuretics contribute to the accelerated excretion of potassium from the body. This must be compensated for by prescribing multivitamin compositions and nutritional supplements. Otherwise, heart problems can only worsen.
Combat cough of allergic origin
It should not be forgotten that the dog can cough because of allergies. In such cases, the following remedies are prescribed: