Bread, as a food product, has actively and firmly entered our daily lives, and in many cases, has taken a leading position. Have you ever wondered can dogs have white bread, how safe and appropriate it is? After all, we understand not all products from our daily or holiday table are relevant for pets. Let’s consider this question from the point of view of professionals: cynologists, veterinarians, breeders.
The quick answer is:
– Yes, a dog can have white bread but in small quantities and rarely. It is better to occasionally use white bread as a treat or reward. Do not feed your dog white bread as a regular meal.
Is white bread bad for dogs?
It is dangerous to give dogs:
- white bread;
- baked goods;
- freshly baked goods;
- moldy product;
- bread with spices.
The quick answer is: Yes, white bread is bad for dogs in large quantities. White bread contains more yeast that can cause changes in the dog’s intestinal microflora, leading to dysbacteriosis, abdominal bloating, and painful cramps. All breeders are always puzzled by the question: Can dogs have white bread? Our dog food ADVISOR is happy to cover this topic.
Don’t give your dog a lot of white bread, buns, cakes, especially those with sweet fillings or sprinkles, also containing nuts, raisins, and chocolate. Dumplings, pancakes, pancakes, dumplings are also prohibited for dogs.
What bread can dogs have?
A large amount of carbohydrates should, in my opinion, be attributed specifically to the positives. Undoubtedly, carbohydrates contribute to weight gain. But we’re talking about competent, advanced, and modern owners who provide their beloved pets with maximum mobility. Look at athletes. They have a lot of food high in carbohydrates, including bread. But that doesn’t mean they gain weight by depositing fatty tissue. Bread is satiating, quickly, in small amounts, but with an active lifestyle.
Another reason to give dogs bread is that hard bread crusts and breadcrumbs are a great natural “cleanser” for their teeth. This becomes especially true when the pet is switched to soft food – canned pet food, porridges of various kinds, soups and broths. Of course, the use of specialized brushes and pastes for the pet’s teeth is necessary, but the natural cleansers should not be neglected.
If you use varieties of bread with lysine, it makes sense to talk about additional strengthening of the cardiovascular system.
Of the disadvantages, it is worth highlighting the following points.
- Not the best, we should even say bad, digestibility of products made from flour. For processing by the gastrointestinal tract of bread requires a long time, as well as the load on many organs.
- Development of constipation with excessive consumption of the product.
- And the most serious problem that can lead to serious negative consequences is an allergy to the individual components of the bakery product.
- The bread produced for humans in factories as flavor enhancers use large amounts of sugar and salt, as well as a variety of preservatives. And these are the real poisons (even in small amounts) for the pet. Any veterinarian will never tell you that you can give your dog bread, even in portions that humans consume.
Make your own bread for your pet
Can dogs have white bread? This is a very important question for dog owners. And it’s better not to give white bread to a dog.
The most correct solution in all respects in this difficult situation seems to be to make your own bread for your pet.
In this case, you can choose the ingredients yourself, and the process itself will not take much time. You can safely exclude harmful ingredients such as salt and sugar, and replace them with healthy ones, for example by adding honey, kefir, or sourdough.
The resulting bread is cut into small pieces and dried. In this way the breadcrumbs are obtained. About their additional benefits we spoke above. The recipe for the bread itself is easy to find on the Internet.
The breadcrumbs, in the future, are added to the food, in dry dog food, in soups, porridges, in fact, in any dish. But most importantly, according to the trainers, it is the most effective and proper treat for the animal during training, including intense training. The question often arises: can dogs eat wheat bread? Yes they can, but in small amounts, as the dog may be allergic to wheat.
Can dogs eat garlic bread?
Garlic bread and other bread products containing condiments that are toxic to animals should not be fed to dogs. We do not recommend feeding garlic bread to spayed or neutered dogs. As well as dogs with heart disease, overweight or diabetic animals, the elderly and pregnant animals.
Can dogs eat rye bread and pumpkin bread?
Can dogs eat white or black bread? Black bread, as well as rye bread, bran bread, whole grain bread contains fewer carbohydrates. Such a product contains more vitamins, trace elements and amino acids compared to white wheat bread. It contains vegetable protein and plant nutrients. Dark bread has less yeast, which avoids many of your pet’s health problems. If you can afford a piece of bread, give your pet yeast-free rye bread. We don’t recommend pumpkin bread for dogs because it contains nutmeg, which is bad for dogs.
Is corn bread good for dogs?
Corn or soybean bread on food can cause your dog to vomit, nausea and diarrhea. Consumption can lead to severe consequences – seizures, respiratory distress and even death.
Tips for feeding your dog
Considering the polar effect of bread on the body, we conclude. It is possible to give bread to dogs, but with the following easy-to-follow rules:
- Portions should be small.
- It is not necessary to include the product in the diet every day; 2-3 times a week is enough.
- At the slightest suspicion of allergies or any abnormalities in the health of the dog, including the digestive tract, exclude bread.
- Try to use bread in crisp bread format, preferably only as a treat, with the occasional addition to main meals once a week.
- Being overweight and having problems with internal organs is a good reason to give up flour.
And in conclusion, it is worth noting the following. If you have extra bread at home (which we all do), don’t force-feed it to your dog. It is better to give it to homeless, stray dogs. It won’t do them any harm, but it will help them build up some of the extra body fat they need, especially in the winter. Better feed your favorite dog super premium food: Kirkland Dog Food review: Ingredients, Pros and Cons (bestdogfood.expert).