Can dogs eat grapes? Why can’t dogs eat grapes?

December 3, 2021
Blog
can dogs eat grapes

Dogs are well-known gourmands, and it is not surprising that in summer, when there are fresh berries and fruits, owners do not deny their pets the pleasure, not even thinking about whether grapes or strawberries and other fruits are allowed for dogs. But veterinarians sound the alarm – this product is dangerous!

On the useful and harmful properties of grapes

Many people will be surprised by such a statement, because doctors everywhere talk about the benefits of grapes. It has beneficial effects on the entire human body: fiber improves digestion, and trace elements, among which grapes have potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, iron, on the nervous system. The berries contain one of the plant estrogens – resveratrol, which helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and relieve vascular inflammation.

Phenolic compounds – caffeic acid, mirecetin and quercetin – protect the body from the development of cancer cells, and the seeds contain natural oils and vitamins – A, E, K and others. In total grapes contain more than 300 compounds that have beneficial properties for the body:

  • bactericidal;
  • tonic;
  • antioxidant;
  • radioprotective;
  • neurostimulating.

For humans, grapes are a treasure trove of nutrients, so why are veterinarians so categorical in their statement that dogs should not eat grapes?

Why can’t dogs eat grapes

Why can’t dogs eat grapes

Many pet owners believe that the more varied the pet’s diet, the healthier it is and focus on what is good and tasty for themselves. However, a dog’s body is structured somewhat differently, and what is good for humans can be fatal for animals.

Scientists at the ASPCA Animal Poison Center sounded the alarm for the first time in the 1980s. They were struck by the numbers: in two years there were almost 150 cases of poisoning of dogs with grapes, with 7 animals died and half of the poisoned were diagnosed with severe renal failure. The statistics said that gender, age, breed or health status of the animals had no effect on the risk of intoxication.

Serious scientific research in this direction has led to the conclusion that grapes are toxic to pets, but so far the exact mechanism of poisoning has not been elucidated.

There are assumptions, and in this direction and are still being researched, that the “culprit” of intoxication is mycotoxin – a natural substance that can be formed in many food products during storage under the action of microscopic fungi that develop in them. However, traces of mycotoxin in grapes were not found in many cases of poisoning investigated. Therefore, to date, the dangerous component of grapes has not been elucidated.

Studies have shown that most cases of grape poisoning in dogs develop severe renal failure – proximal tubular necrosis of the organ. This is an acute disease with necrotic damage to the tubule epithelium that leads to acute renal failure. Up to 25% of the blood passes through the kidneys, and the cells of the renal tubule epithelium are at maximum sensitivity to toxins that circulate in the blood. They perform an energy-consuming transport function. Toxins, on the other hand, impair the metabolism of epithelial cells.

Studies have suggested that pips cause the poisoning, but the canine response to seedless grapes has been similar. It is more likely that it is not a single element in the composition of the berries that causes intoxication, but a combination of them. If in microdoses they are not dangerous, their combination causes severe poisoning in the dog.

And the digestive system suffers first. After eating grapes the dog begins to vomit violently, in the vomit can be found undigested remains of berries. Vomiting is accompanied by diarrhea. The kidneys try to neutralize and flush out the toxins, but the increased burden on them causes a syndrome of autointoxication after a while. Metabolic products accumulate in the blood, disrupting metabolic processes in the body.

Important!

Not only fresh berries, but also raisins are dangerous for the dog. Even a small amount – 3-4 raisins – can be fatal. Therefore, the answer to the question, “Why can’t dogs eat grapes” is obvious.

Take a closer look at Victor dog food, the company selects only fresh and organic ingredients.

can dogs eat green grapes

Can dogs eat green grapes?

Only an owner who does not love his dog would feed green unripe grapes to his pet. Not only is the fruit unripe and sour, but the pet may get poisoning from a small amount of green grapes. So the answer to the question, “Can dogs eat green grapes?” is no. Find out here: Can dogs eat blueberries?

Can dogs eat red grapes?

Red grapes can release large amounts of toxins into your dog system so you should not give your dog red grapes symptoms that occur in dogs after consuming red grapes may include vomiting diarrhea lethargy lack of appetite and there may also be difficulty urinating so the answer to the question “can dogs eat red grapes?” is no.

Can dogs eat grapes without seeds?

Grapes are often good for humans, but toxic to pets. In addition, products of grape origin (grape seed oil), raisins should be under strict prohibition as poisonous substances when it comes to your four-legged animals.

The toxic effects of eating these berries can vary among members of the animal world. While some tolerate the toxic effects quietly, others show signs of illness.

The severity of intoxication has not yet been established in relation to the amount of the product. There are cases of immune suppression of a dog weighing 9 kg due to 5 sweet berries.

According to studies, the lethal dose of raisins ranges from 5 to 20 grams per kilogram of body weight of the animal! Just a few grams can cause health damage. So don’t think that just one or two berries won’t do any harm.

– But what about owners who feed their animals sweet berries, without consequences?

– you ask.

Because of their ignorance of the harms of seedless grapes for dogs, you might say that they were just lucky the animal didn’t get poisoned. If you just assume that your pet may have eaten a few berries, ask your veterinarian for advice. So the answer to the question, “Can dogs eat grapes without seed,” is no. You shouldn’t try to give your dog different foods. Better to trust the professionals who advise feeding Kirkland feed see ingredients review.

Signs of Grape Poisoning in Dogs

It is difficult to determine intoxication at once it must take at least a few hours before the first symptoms of poisoning appear. And every minute may be counted. Therefore, the reaction of the animal should be monitored if there is even the slightest suspicion that it has eaten the sweet berries. A slight change in the condition, behavior of the pet is a reason to go immediately to the veterinary clinic.

Intoxication with grapes is manifested by the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting, in the vomit is the remains of undigested berries;
  • frequent heavy diarrhea;
  • Absence of salivation or, on the contrary, increased salivation;
  • refusal of food and water;
  • lethargy, apathy;
  • low body temperature.

The peritoneal walls become toned; this can be determined by palpation. The abdomen is painful, when touching the dog begins to whimper. Toxic shock develops for up to two days, if the pet is not helped as soon as possible – it will die.

Important!

A lethal dose for a dog weighing up to 20 kg is 8-10 berries, poisoning can already cause 3-4 eaten grapes. For a dog of small breed, this dose is much smaller.

Fatal outcome is a consequence of the development of acute renal failure. Poisoning is caused by decay products of internal organs and stagnant urine. The kidneys cannot cope with the increased load, resulting in irreversible organ damage. If veterinary care is sought within 12-18 hours of poisoning, the survival rate is 100%. But inpatient treatment will be required.

Can you help your dog yourself when he has eaten grapes

As a first aid when you suspect that your dog has eaten even a few grapes, you can try to induce vomiting. Then give activated charcoal or any other enterosorbent. This will help collect residual toxins in the gastrointestinal tract before they enter the bloodstream and spread through the body.

Completely self-treatment is not possible: having provided first aid, you should show the pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible, without bringing the situation to a critical point. At the veterinary clinic, specialists will take a blood test, which in case of grape poisoning may reveal an increase in creatinine, urea nitrogen, phosphorus and calcium.

Samuel Carter author About Author

No Comments

    Leave a Reply

    error: Content is protected !!