The diet of the Golden Retriever is carefully selected. Retrievers are prone to allergic reactions, and lack of vitamins and minerals affects the appearance of the dog’s skin and coat. Let’s see, what is the best food for Golden Retriever puppy and adult dog.
Here’s a list of the best dry Golden Retriever foods we recommend:
1. Acana High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
Wholesome Grains and Grain Free
Crafted with Fresh and Raw Ingredients: Matches the natural diets and physiology of dogs to best meet
2. Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED GOLDEN RETRIEVERS: Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Golden Retrievers 15 months and older.
3. Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein
Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken & Rice
Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
4. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Adult
Perfect Weight for Weight Management, Chicken Recipe
This adult dog food supports muscle maintenance
5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
How to choose a puppy food for Golden Retriever?
We recommend that you first feed your puppy the same food that the breeder fed him. Because your puppy’s gut has already built up a certain microflora. And to digest the new ingredient, the puppy doesn’t have enough gut bacteria. Even an adult dog is advised to add bifidobacteria for the gut when transitioning to a new Golden Retriever food. You can check out 10 of the best Chewy brands that make really high quality event food.
Best food for Golden Retriever grades
- Super premium This is the best food for Golden Retriever, crafted using fresh quality meat (e.g., lamb, beef, poultry, etc.) with added grains (flax, barley, oats, etc.). Digestibility of super-premium class feeds is more than 80%. Their energy value is above 450 kcal/100 g, which significantly reduces their consumption.
- Premium Premium class feeds contain meat of fish, poultry, good quality by-products, as well as rice and/or vegetables: Carrots contain many trace elements, beet, potatoes. They contain vegetable proteins, colorings and flavorings. Premium class feeds are digestible by 75%, and their energy value exceeds 350 kcal/100 g.
- Economy. This is a low-quality dog food made from second-rate ingredients, slaughterhouse waste and low-quality grain. Bone meal, animal fat, soy, corn, etc. are used instead of meat. The food contains various flavorings, artificial additives and preservatives. The daily intake rate is high and the energy value does not exceed 350 kcal/100 g.
How do I read the contents of dog food?
In the composition of the food, the ingredient that contains the most is written first. Then comes the ingredient that contains less than the first ingredient, and so on.
Best food for Golden Retriever puppy must have meat first. But it is important that it be dried, dehydrated meat or meat meal, since drying reduces the amount of meat by 80%. It can be beef, pork, lamb, duck, fish or chicken. Yes, pork can also be fed to the dog.
Second place is taken by cereals – corn, oats, barley, rice.
Next are fats, vegetables and other ingredients.
It is better to eat super-premium Golden Retriever food for this breed. Avoid chicken meat and chicken fat.
One of the most important things to pay attention to when choosing pet food is the percentage of protein and fat content.
High-protein foods are not suitable for the pet golden retriever. Excess protein is not digestible. You often see owners on forums complaining that their pet is allergic to an ingredient in the food. But in fact it’s the high percentage of protein in the food. There may be redness on the ears, under the tail, on the neck, or on the belly, all of which are most often additional protein.
Foods containing 22-25% protein and 10-14% fat are appropriate for these dogs.
Older dogs look and feel great on foods containing 22% protein and 12% fat.
Puppies as young as 2 months old can be raised on 24-26% protein. We recommend this food for Golden Retriever puppies up to one year of age. It is also advisable to add special supplements to the puppies’ diet.