Siba Inu – small hunting likes with a fox look and Japanese origin. They are characterized not only by a strong proportional physique and a cute fox muzzle, but also by a strong volitional character. This breed is demanding in care, including nutrition. Therefore, before deciding to get a pet at home, it is important to figure out how to feed Siba Inu so that the animal is healthy and active.
Features of nutrition
Violation of the regime, improper selection of products or coma will immediately negatively affect the well-being of Siba Inu. The exotic breed needs a special diet that will be closer to Asian than European.
You can feed the siba in natural food or use production food. The main thing is to follow the rules:
- The food of Japanese dogs should be similar to the one that was practiced in their homeland. Mandatory is the presence of sea fish and other seafood, rice, algae additives.
- Dry dog food for Siba Inu needs only their suitable breed, otherwise there is a risk of provoking allergies or indigestion. The food is selected taking into account age, physical activity and physiological characteristics.
- The fooding scheme of adult representatives of the huskies – twice a day, morning and evening. Dishes should be satisfying, useful, diversity is welcome. Fasting or overeating is unacceptable. In addition to breakfast and dinner, young dogs need a snack, afternoon snack.
- So that the dog does not spoil the posture and does not earn problems with the spine, use a special stand for a bowl. It fixes the dishes at the desired height, and the animal does not need to bend down during meals. They acquire support in the pet store, picking up a pet. There are designs of different heights, there are adjustable ones.
- Misks with food and water are placed nearby. Drink is changing daily. You can not pour water from the tap, it should be clean, previously filtered. It is important to ensure that the animal receives enough fluid. Under-day feed is not left for later. The plate is cleaned and rinsed after each meal.
- The diet of Siba Inu should be balanced. In adult dogs, it is half the carbohydrates, 30% proteins and 20% fat. Industrial food in its composition takes into account this condition. Those who are for natural, have to calculate themselves what products will cover this need.
- The breed is prone to the development of vertebrates. To avoid additional load on the musculoskeletal system, Siba cannot be overfeed. Excess weight negatively affects the work of internal organs.
- The daily diet is adjusted depending on the needs of the Siber. A portion of food is increased with increased physical exertion, in the cold season, during pregnancy. Reduced for elderly dogs and during estrus. Cobels are required 10% more feed than bitches.
- With age, Siba has problems with eyes. They are predisposed to the development of cataracts or atrophy of the retina. For the prevention of these diseases, they monitor sufficient consumption of vitamin A.
Sometimes, with low physical activity, Siba can lose appetite and even starve a couple of days. Do not force it to eat it through force. To restore the regime, you need to increase the number of roastes, let the frolic on the bestdogfood.Expert or park, conduct training classes.
The better to feed Siba Inu natural or use food, the owner decides. It is advisable to first consult with the breeder, find out what kind of food the dog adhered to earlier, what her parents preferred.
The main advantage of natural feed over industrial is an independent choice and purchase of products. The loving owner will not allow delays, will not acquire a damaged product. In addition, if any of the dishes did not fit or did not like it, it can be safely excluded.
Feeding of Siba in ordinary food requires a thorough selection of ingredients. The European table is not entirely optimal for islanders, therefore it implies adjustment. If the dog of elite blood, it is difficult to get used to this type of feeding, some do not succeed. But they adapt perfectly to dry dog food.
Disadvantages of naturalness ─ the time for the purchase and preparation of dishes, considerable financial costs.
When purchasing products, you need to pay attention to freshness and quality, it is better if they are purchased on the farm market. Fish and meat are taken chilled, not frozen.
As already mentioned, Asians are prone to food allergies, so the assortment is limited. Permissible:
- Meat. Recommended veal, less often beef. A rabbit will do, any bird except for a chicken. Steamed, boiled or served raw. Offal may be included.
- Fish. Only fillets of marine life are allowed, for example, pollock, hake, salmon, codbjected to heat treatment.
- Cereals. Cook porridge on water from rice or buckwheatpplemented with meat, vegetables, yogurt, kefir. Puppies, in addition to the listed cereals, allow well-boiled semolina. For babies, these dishes are prepared with milk.
- Vegetables. Potatoes, cabbage, carrots, pumpkin, zucchini are suitable for Shiba Inu. Pre-chopped, boiled, stewed or stewed. Served in small portions, often used as an additive.
- Fruit. In small quantities give apples, pears, bananas, you can berries. Slices are used as a reward for achievements for a pet or are treated to just pamper.
- Milk. Siba prefers cottage cheese, kefir, natural yogurt without sugar, sometimes sour cream. Puppies can have milk, adults – only sour milk. Products should not be greasy.
Shiba Inu eggs are allowed once a week. Preferably quail or guinea fowl, chicken is not recommended. Useful delicacy are dried fruits, cheese, crackers.
The body of Japanese huskies needs fatty acids and probiotics, which they get from seaweed in their homeland. Veterinarians advise using dietary supplements based on them.
So that the dog does not have health problems, you need to know not only the list of allowed foods, but also have information about what to feed the Shiba is unacceptable. Asians are unable to digest certain foods that are not found in their homeland.
Foods that are harmful to Japanese Laikas include:
- Pork, canned food, semi-finished products, smoked products;
- River fish;
- Soybeans, peas, beans;
- Sweets, chocolate, cookies;
- Bakery products;
- Sausages, sausages;
- Dairy products with a high fat content;
- Pearl barley, hercules, barley groats, millet.
In no case should you give fried, spicy, smoked and salty food! It is not allowed to feed Shiba Inu with cereals, they can provoke an increase in blood sugar levels.
Dry dog food
There is nothing more convenient than feeding a siba with ready-made pellets. There are several advantages: you do not need to bother with the choice of products, draw up a daily menu, cook or stew.
When choosing industrial feed, take into account the characteristics of the breed:
- Islanders are strictly prohibited products with a high content of soy protein;
- Impurities of cereal crops are undesirable;
- Supplements from meat, fish or rice have a good effect on the gastrointestinal tract;
- It is better to purchase feeds designed specifically for Shiba. They, as a rule, contain seaweed, the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- When the pet is elderly or there are problems with the teeth, it is transferred to wet canned food.
Although most breeds are prohibited from eating both dry pellets and regular foods, Shiba Inu feeding allows for this combination. Feed should be a priority, and a natural woman should go as a supplement. Acceptable ratio is 4:1.
In order not to provoke an upset stomach and other deviations of the gastrointestinal tract, both types of food should not be given at the same time.
When the dog is suffering from indigestion, vomiting or diarrhea, increased gas formation, it is better to temporarily stick to a rice-based diet.
Features of feeding Shiba puppies
How to feed a Shiba puppy depends on the nutrition of his mother. If a natural woman was present in the diet of the bitch, the same format is desirable for the baby. It is important that the food is balanced and varied, easy to digest. When choosing dry dog food, they are guided by the age of the pet.
Shiba puppy nutrition principles at 2-3 months:
- The recommended number of meals is at least five times a day;
- The main components of the diet are milk and sour milk (50%). Fillet of sea fish, lean meat make up 30%, rice porridge, thermally processed vegetables 20%;
- If the pet consumes dry granules, they must be soaked in water.
How to feed a puppy at 4-6 months:
- Increase the serving size to about 90 grams;
- Young animals eat three times a day;
- Exclude whole milk;
- Meat predominates 50%, the morning starts with sour milk 25%. In addition to rice, other cereals are added, their share is 15% and 10% of various vegetables;
- Feed is given in the amount indicated on the package, do not soften.
Feeding Shiba dogs at six months:
- At the age of six months, adolescents begin to switch to an adult diet;
- Eat twice a day, morning and evening;
- Breakfast should be high-calorie and healthy, consist of porridge with the addition of meat or sour milk. Meat, fish, vegetables are suitable for dinner;
- The portion is calculated in a ratio of 1:10 of the dog’s weight.
For the normal growth and development of a Shiba Inu puppy, additional vitamins and minerals are required. To keep the bones and teeth strong, the coat shiny, and the pet cheerful and energetic, you need calcium, vitamin D, group B, omega fatty acids.
Potassium, chromium, phosphorus, magnesium contribute to the improvement of metabolic processes. Veterinary pharmacies sell complexes designed for puppies of different ages. Many ready-made feeds are already enriched with the necessary nutrients.
Proper nutrition of Shiba dogs is the basis of their health. What to feed the animal is the prerogative of the breeder, the main thing is that the pet feels great and has a normal weight. Compiling a diet, selecting food and dietary supplements is not an easy task, but very important. Shibai Inu is a serious breed and requires an appropriate attitude towards itself. Good care and attention will be rewarded with devotion and sympathy.